Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Fema Buyout topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Gila County wins $1.54 million FEMA buyout for Roosevelt properties; aims to stabilize Campaign Creek

Gila County (Roosevelt community meeting) · July 8, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Gila County announced a Hazard Mitigation Post-Fire buyout award of $1,541,258.25 for properties in Roosevelt, with a $539,606.75 local match to be covered from existing flood mitigation funds; DEMA will administer the grant and demolition must be complete by June 2025.

Supervisor Humphrey announced that Gila County has been awarded a Hazard Mitigation Post Fire Grant for properties in Roosevelt totaling $1,541,258.25, with a required local match of $539,606.75. He said the county will cover the match with part of the $3 million previously allocated for flood mitigation and that completing property buy-outs will allow work on Campaign Creek and the re-opening of Mesquite.

"Gila County received notification on July 2nd that we have been awarded the Hazard Mitigation Post Fire Grant in the amount of $1,541,258.25 with a local match of $539,606.75," Supervisor Humphrey said. Homero Vela, Gila County Public Works Director, said a kickoff meeting with DEMA — the grant administrator — will be scheduled and that the county has until June 2025 to complete demolition of purchased homes.

Why it matters: buy-outs remove repeatedly damaged or at-risk homes from flood-prone areas, creating space for creek stabilization work and reducing future hazard exposure for neighbors. Supervisor Humphrey and the public-works director said the county plans to use the cleared parcels to stabilize the south bank of Campaign Creek, which county officials linked directly to the ability to safely re-open Mesquite to residents.

What happens next: county staff will coordinate with DEMA on kickoff and implementation, pursue demolition of purchased structures, and apply a portion of the existing $3 million flood-mitigation allocation to meet the local match requirement. Officials gave a deadline of June 2025 to complete demolition and related tasks under the grant terms.

The announcement followed earlier public comments and a longer meeting in which officials outlined parallel infrastructure and emergency-preparedness efforts that the buy-out is intended to support.