Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use Development topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Heated hearing over McDonald’s proposal draws dozens of neighbors and divided council debate

San Bernardino City Council · June 18, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A quasi‑judicial appeal over a proposed McDonald’s drivethrough on Baseline drew a large public turnout. Supporters said the vacant, vandalized corner needs redevelopment; opponents called for alternatives and noted proximity to churches and seniors. Staff recommended denying the appeal; council debated plan‑consistency and property‑owner rights.

San Bernardino — A quasi‑judicial appeal hearing (Appeal 26‑09) for a proposed McDonald’s drivethrough at Baseline and Sierra Way drew a large, vocal crowd on June 17, with lengthy testimony both for and against the project.

Planner Christian Csan set out the application and staff analysis, explaining that the proposal would consolidate six parcels to build a roughly 3,684‑square‑foot full‑service restaurant with drivethrough lanes, parking and improved lighting and landscaping. Csan told the council the site had been vacant since about 2019, had experienced vandalism and unauthorized occupancy, and that staff’s recommendation was to adopt Resolution 26‑008 — denying the applicant’s appeal and upholding the Planning Commission’s prior denial.

Proponents of redevelopment, including a representative identified as Son Munis for PR Associates, said the vacant corner is blighted and that a major tenant would bring jobs, investment, consistent site management and improved safety: “El estado actual del sitio es extremadamente horrible,” their representative said, arguing redevelopment would bring policing, lighting and landscape improvements.

Opponents — more than a dozen residents and community leaders — urged the council to sustain the Planning Commission’s denial. Speakers cited the corridor’s existing concentration of fast‑food outlets, public‑health concerns (including childhood obesity), pedestrian safety, and the proximity of churches, senior facilities and other sensitive uses. Several commenters urged the council to prioritize housing or locally owned small businesses instead of another national chain.

Councilmembers discussed competing policy considerations: plan consistency in the city’s Transit‑Oriented District (whether a drivethrough aligns with TOD goals to reduce vehicle dependence), economic incentives for redeveloping a long‑vacant parcel, property‑owner rights, and the adequacy of community outreach. The transcript records multiple substitute motions, amendments and roll‑call votes during deliberations; councilmembers also asked staff to consider clarifying code language and improving pre‑application community engagement.

What happened: Staff recommended adopting Resolution 26‑008 to deny the appeal; council deliberations resulted in several substitute motions and close roll‑call votes as recorded in the meeting transcript. The hearing produced no uncontested consensus: councilmembers split on balancing property rights and TOD objectives, and directed staff to return with clarifying code language and outreach protocols. Any final permitting decision will be governed by the city’s formal vote record and resolutions as reflected in the official minutes.

Why it matters: The case highlights tensions between redevelopment of long‑vacant private property and community preferences about land use in sensitive corridors. Neighbors pressed the council for alternative development that would better reflect local priorities; proponents emphasized the economic case for an active commercial tenant.