Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Emergency Response topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Houston officials urge residents to shelter in place as severe storm brings flooding, outages
Summary
City officials held an emergency briefing urging Houstonians to stay home as heavy rain, rising bayous and hurricane-force winds caused widespread outages, prompted high-water rescues and left at least one suspected storm-related fire fatality under investigation.
Get email alerts on the Emergency Response topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Houston officials on Saturday implored residents to "shelter in place" and stay off roadways as heavy rain, rising bayous and near-hurricane winds caused widespread flooding and power outages across the region.
The mayor opened an emergency briefing saying the city was "in rescue mode" and urging anyone who could hear the message to remain indoors, warning that many bayous were out of their banks and that officials had reported "a very serious amount of water in excess of 10 inches" in places. "Shelter in place," the mayor said. "We're in an emergency. We're in a rescue mode. Life safety."
Why it matters: City leaders said the immediate priority is life safety and rescue operations. Officials reported widespread outages and stressed that 911 should be used only for true emergencies while 311 and 211 should be used for nonemergency service needs.
Police and emergency response: HPD Chief Harden said crews had been conducting high-water rescues throughout the night and morning and asked residents to stay home so resources could focus on the most urgent calls. "Stay home so we can utilize our resources to help the people who really need it right now," Harden said. He also warned that some people try to take advantage of outages and said police would deploy marked and unmarked units to protect neighborhoods.
Operational posture and vulnerable populations: Director Tom Munoz said the city's posture is centered on life safety and that mitigation plans were already in place. He said the city had identified vulnerable facilities — including assisted-living and nursing homes — and would monitor them closely as the storm passed. "We are paying attention," Munoz said, adding that the city will move into recovery and consequence management once immediate rescues conclude.
Infrastructure and services: Randy, the public works director, told the briefing the drinking water supply and wastewater systems were operating within regulatory parameters, in many cases on backup generator power. "Our drinking water supply is good. It is safe," he said, and urged patience as streets — which serve as primary drainage channels in Houston — clear.
Fatality and investigation: City officials said there had been at least one fatal house fire early in the morning; the fire chief said arson investigators were working to determine the cause. "We unfortunately had a fire fatality early this morning. It happened around 05:30 this morning," the fire chief said; officials said it was not yet determined whether the fire was caused by the storm or by another factor and that the cause was under investigation.
Other details: The mayor said the city was coordinating with county, state and federal partners and that the White House had offered assistance. He also cited CenterPoint Energy's mobilization of crews and requested public patience while power restoration and street clearing proceed.
Next steps: Officials said they would conduct a formal assessment and provide a midafternoon status update on city services and recovery plans. The mayor closed the briefing by repeating the shelter-in-place message and asking residents to keep streets clear so first responders can reach the most serious emergencies.
