Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Police Recruitment topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Houston pushes sixth cadet class, hiring incentives and retired-officer hires to bolster police ranks
Summary
Houston police leaders told the Public Safety Committee the department is expanding cadet classes, offering pay incentives and reviving a retired-officer (ePRO) program to address staffing shortages; HPD presented costs and asked council to consider funding options including limited use of asset-forfeiture funds.
Get email alerts on the Police Recruitment topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Houston’s Public Safety Committee heard a detailed plan to expand police recruitment on Thursday as city officials described a mix of pay incentives, a newly authorized sixth cadet class and a program to hire retired officers to fill specialized needs.
Rhonda Smith, HPD’s deputy director and chief financial officer, said the department wants to sustain and expand cadet incentives that previously used ARPA funds. “The cost for the $10,000 pay increase and the $5,000 hiring incentive is about $1,700,000 per class,” Smith said while reviewing slide estimates; she added that assuming six classes the FY25 cost impact would be about $4.5 million and that the administration has budgeted roughly $2.7 million in general government to add a sixth class this fiscal year.
Why it matters: The department faces persistent staffing shortages and competition from nearby jurisdictions. Officials said higher starting pay and temporary hiring bonuses make Houston more competitive with neighboring cities, while additional cadet classes aim to increase the pipeline of patrol officers.
HPD Chief Diaz framed the proposals as part of a broader effort to keep officers in patrol roles: “The announcement yesterday of the starting police officer pay increases is an excellent step,” he said, while stressing the department still faces staffing and budget challenges. Diaz tied recruitment to retention when describing why the department is prioritizing cadet hiring and pay changes.
The department also described an ePRO program to hire retired, classified officers through a temporary employment agency to address specialized investigative needs. Smith said the current ePRO budget is $1.5 million; the administration proposed adding $2.2 million for up to 60 additional ePRO positions (raising the total to $3.7 million) to allow as many as 100 ePRO roles paid roughly $30 an hour and targeted to case-management, special victims and offender-registration units.
Council members pressed department leaders on timing and funding. Councilmember Roy Ramirez asked whether asset-forfeiture funds could be used to cover training or equipment costs tied to cadet classes; Chief Diaz said the department would research legal constraints with the city legal team and report back, noting that forfeiture dollars already pay for equipment in some specialized units.
Other details and concerns: Smith presented salary comparisons showing starting cadet pay moved closer to peer cities with recent increases; she also described a planned public dashboard to let residents track case processing. The department said it is negotiating an MOU with Harris County to expand training space and is using other city and sheriff’s facilities to accommodate additional academy classes in the short term.
No formal vote was taken. The committee moved to public comment after the presentations; staff said materials and slides are available on the committee web page.
