Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Zoning Variance topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Hobart zoning board tables fence variance, removes food-truck request; advises resident on partial front-yard fence
Summary
At its March 5 meeting the Hobart Board of Zoning Appeals tabled a front-yard fence variance pending a court outcome, removed a food-truck use-variance petition for failure to complete hearing requirements, and advised a resident that a limited front-corner fence would not require a variance.
Get email alerts on the Zoning Variance topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Hobart Board of Zoning Appeals on March 5 tabled a request to allow an existing 3-foot front-yard fence at 37 N. Guyer Street and removed a separate food-truck use-variance petition after the petitioner failed to complete public-hearing requirements.
Chairman Stuart Allen opened the meeting at 5:30 p.m. with a pledge of allegiance and a moment of silence. Four members were present: Allen, Chris Kosovich, Ron Jackson and Kreg Homoky. City staff in attendance included Alex Metz, city engineer; Heather McCarthy, city attorney; Connor Miller, zoning administrator; and Joy Respecke, recording secretary.
Petition 25-12, filed by property owner Zachary Tillman for 37 N. Guyer Street, sought a developmental-standards variance to allow an existing 3-foot wood fence in the front yard. The petitioner was not present; City Attorney Heather McCarthy told the board that Tillman is scheduled to appear in city court. Member Kreg Homoky moved to table Petition 25-12 pending the court judgment, and member Chris Kosovich seconded. The motion carried on a 4-0 vote.
Petition 25-17, filed by Tara Piontek (agent) for the property at 3700 Montgomery Street, requested permission to operate a food truck for one year, exceeding the ordinance’s 16-week limit. The petitioner failed to complete public-hearing requirements and did not appear. Homoky moved to remove the petition for want of prosecution; Ron Jackson seconded and the board voted 4-0 to remove the item.
During a consultation, resident Cathleen Tellez asked for guidance on installing a front-yard fence at 212 S. Ash Street to contain dogs. Chairman Allen said constructing a fence around the entire front yard could set a precedent; he noted that some front-yard fences were installed before the current ordinance and are grandfathered. The board said that when a house’s placement on the lot eliminates an adequate rear yard, a limited front-yard fence has been allowed, but not to extend past neighboring front-yard setbacks. The board advised that extending a fence from the front corner of the house to the property line would not require a variance.
The board approved the February 5, 2026 minutes and the amended agenda earlier in the meeting; both motions passed 4-0. With no further business, Homoky moved to adjourn at 5:55 p.m.; Jackson seconded and the motion carried 4-0.
What’s next: Petition 25-12 remains tabled until the pending city-court matter is resolved. Petition 25-17 was removed for want of prosecution; the petitioner would need to refile and complete public-hearing requirements to be considered again.
