Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Service Providers topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

IARCA, CASA report no facility closures and a reduced CASA waitlist during pandemic

Child Services Oversight Committee · June 1, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

IARCA said it kept facilities open and shifted to virtual services without mass child transfers; CASA reported its waiting list is down by over 500 children and cited volunteer shortages because 40% of volunteers are over 60.

Chris Daley, executive director of IARCA, told the Child Services Oversight Committee that IARCA managed its COVID-19 response without closing facilities or transferring children en masse. "The agency shifted resources where able, and as a result was able to transition to virtual services and a more digital environment very easily, without interrupting services," Daley said.

Leslie Dunn, director of Indiana CASA/GAL, said CASA is working to establish programs in two additional counties so they would be operational in all but four counties. Dunn reported the CASA waiting list has fallen by more than 500 children compared with this time last year, putting the list under 3,000 after earlier peaks near 6,000. She said the pandemic slowed operations because roughly 40% of CASA volunteers are over 60, reducing volunteer availability.

Both presenters praised increased communication across agencies during the pandemic and noted that virtual tools—such as online training for foster parents—helped maintain services. Committee members did not vote on new motions tied to these updates during the meeting.

The committee adjourned at 1:30 p.m.