Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use Moratorium topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Port Wentworth council unanimously adopts moratorium on rezonings for new gas stations

City Council of Port Wentworth · July 18, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Port Wentworth City Council on July 18 adopted a unanimous resolution pausing rezonings to establish new service stations while staff updates the future land use map and zoning ordinances; City Manager Steve Davis cited recent growth and 17 pending/approved fuel-site permits as rationale.

Port Wentworth City Council on July 18 voted unanimously to impose a temporary moratorium on rezoning any property to establish a new service station. The measure, driven by council members and explained by City Manager Steve Davis, is intended to pause approvals while the city updates its future land use map and makes minor adjustments to the zoning ordinance.

City Manager Steve Davis told the council the pause responds to rapid growth and several pending projects: "We currently have 14 gas stations and 3 that already have zoning approval and special use permits but are not constructed yet, which is 17 total," he said, and described the moratorium as a short-term administrative pause to allow staff time to revise the comprehensive land-use guidance. Davis also noted the city saw roughly a 17% year-over-year population increase last year and that permit activity has increased this year; he added the Development Services department currently has a vacancy following the recent passing of the assistant city manager.

The council adopted the resolution without dissent. The motion to impose the moratorium was moved by Council Member Rufus Bright and seconded by Council Member Mark Stephens; the minutes record a unanimous vote by those present: Thomas Barbee, ArtLise Alston-Cone, Gabrielle Nelson, Mark Stephens, Rufus Bright and Shawn Randerwala.

The resolution text and the moratorium’s duration were not specified in the meeting record; council discussion and City Manager remarks indicated the pause is intended to remain in effect while staff works on the future land use map and draft ordinance changes. The council did not set a public timeline for completing those updates during the meeting. Staff will return to the council with proposals for the future land use map and any zoning-text amendments for further action.