Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Sudan topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

UN verifies 546 incidents of conflict-related sexual violence in Sudan; urges urgent funding

United Nations Spokesperson briefing · June 23, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

UN human-rights colleagues verified 546 incidents of conflict-related sexual violence across 16 of Sudan's 18 states through mid-April, affecting at least 838 people; the spokesperson called these figures the "tip of the iceberg" and appealed for increased funding for humanitarian response (US$2.9 billion plan, 39% funded).

The United Nations spokesperson said a new UN human-rights report verified 546 incidents of conflict-related sexual violence in Sudan covering the start of the conflict through mid-April, affecting at least 838 women, men and children and documenting at least 13 deaths.

“At least 546 incidents” were verified, the spokesperson said, and added the figure “represents only the tip of the iceberg” because of persistent underreporting in conflict zones. The briefing noted many victims were subjected to gang rapes and that several victims later died.

The spokesperson described humanitarian operations in El Obeid, Northern Kordofan State: the World Food Programme and partners plan to provide food assistance to more than 72,000 displaced people this month and next; about 12,600 people have been reached so far. UNICEF and partners reached more than 95,000 children under five during a recent nutrition campaign, and health partners have pre-positioned cholera supplies and essential medicines.

The briefing reiterated a funding shortfall for the 2026 humanitarian preparedness and response plan: the US$2.9 billion appeal to reach more than 20 million people is roughly 39% funded, the spokesperson said, and the UN urged urgent additional funding to scale up life-saving assistance.

Reporters asked follow-up questions during the briefing about whether the international response has been adequate. The spokesperson said "absolutely not," reiterated that UN and partner staff are providing assistance on the ground and urged countries with influence to act politically to bring the conflict between the government and the Rapid Support Forces to a halt so humanitarian access can expand. A briefing by Mr. Haavisto was scheduled for later in the week, the spokesperson added.