Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Wastewater Sewer Planning topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Pinckneyville council places sewer extension and wastewater plant planning agreements on file

Pinckneyville City Council · May 12, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Pinckneyville City Council on May 12 approved placing on file three resolutions to hire HMG Engineers for sewer planning and wastewater plant project updates, citing an EPA planning grant and a current $5 million funding cap; all motions passed unanimously.

On May 12, 2025, the Pinckneyville City Council voted unanimously to place on file three resolutions authorizing professional services agreements with Henry, Meisenheimer & Gende, Inc. (HMG Engineers) to plan sanitary sewer extensions and to update the city's wastewater treatment plant project plan.

Mayor Robert L. Spencer introduced Resolution No. R-2025-11 to contract with HMG Engineers to plan sewer service to Oxbow, Cedar Point and Charlotte Hills subdivisions. Jesse Maynard of HMG told the council the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has offered a planning grant for unsewered areas and that Pinckneyville has received approval for the planning grant, meaning the City is now positioned to seek construction funding when the full grant becomes available.

The council also placed on file Resolution No. R-2025-12 to update the Wastewater Treatment Plant Project Plan. Maynard said HMG will update the project plan, complete the environmental review and hopes to have EPA approval by March 31, 2026, to position the project for funding by the end of 2026. He told the council the previously proposed site was abandoned after archaeological findings and that HMG's new site is east of the prior location. Maynard also said a funding cap of $5 million now applies to the project.

Mayor Spencer introduced Resolution No. R-2025-13 related to First Street sanitary sewer improvements. Maynard said the First Street work requires roughly 200 feet of sewer extension and replacement of a manhole that serves three homes and that the work was required by EPA.

Each resolution was placed on file after a motion from a council member and a roll-call vote in which Commissioners Kevin B. Hicks, Joshua L. Kuhnert, Sammy D. Peradotta, William B. Stotlar and Mayor Spencer voted yes. No no votes or abstentions were recorded.

Why it matters: the resolutions set the city up to apply engineering work needed to qualify for federal funding and to meet EPA requirements for sewer service, particularly in unsewered annexed areas. The planning grant covers initial planning; construction funding remains contingent on grant decisions and the city's ability to meet funding caps.

Council remarks and clarifications included questions about which areas are affected (Maynard said all listed areas have been annexed except Oxbow) and construction-cost uncertainty: Maynard noted construction costs have risen in recent years but offered hope costs may moderate. The council did not adopt construction contracts or appropriate construction funding at this meeting; it approved only the professional-services agreements to proceed with planning and environmental review.

The council placed the three resolutions on file and took no further formal action on construction funding at the May 12 meeting. The engineering resolutions were recorded as placed on file: R-2025-11 (sewer planning), R-2025-12 (wastewater treatment plant update) and R-2025-13 (First Street sanitary sewer improvements).