Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Health Events topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Brockton council narrowly accepts public-health grant for FIFA watch parties after heated public-safety debate
Summary
The council voted 7–2 to accept a Department of Public Health grant to supply handwashing stations, misting tents and other supplies for two FIFA watch parties after councilors sharply debated safety planning following violent street gatherings tied to recent World Cup matches.
Get email alerts on the Public Health Events topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Brockton City Council voted 7–2 on June 22 to accept a Department of Public Health grant to buy handwashing stations, misting tents and other supplies for two FIFA watch parties planned at Campanelli Stadium on June 24 and 26.
Dr. McCulla of the Health and Human Services Department told the council the department applied for the award June 12 and received notice of the grant on June 17, and that the funds would allow the city to purchase “handwashing stations … trash bins as well as misting tents to keep residents and attendees cool” for the community events. She said the award was time-limited and needed to be processed quickly to support the scheduled events.
The vote followed a contentious exchange in which several councilors pressed for more detailed public-safety planning before approving any event-related spending. “I just can’t put aside what has gone on and the need for proper preparation,” Councilor Farwell said, explaining she was not prepared to vote without the police and fire chiefs present. Councilor Griffin opposed the measure, saying the city was “not prepared” for the scale of violent incidents after recent matches, and recounted “seven shootings and two stabbings” that occurred during an impromptu gathering the previous night.
Other councilors urged action. Councilor Charnell said planning meetings had been extensive and the city had coordinated with police, fire and health officials and characterized the stadium watch parties as ticketed, controlled events with screening and security. Councilor Azac and others warned that holding up the small grant would not stop spontaneous street gatherings and said administrative planning was already underway.
Madame clerk recorded the roll call: seven in the affirmative, two opposed; a subsequent attempt to reconsider the vote failed. The council chair clarified the vote accepted the grant; decisions about whether to continue or cancel watch parties remain an administrative matter for the mayor’s office and public-safety officials.
The Health and Human Services presenter said the grant money is intended only for the watch parties and must be spent by June 30. She said locations and final safety details would be coordinated with the lead of the safety-planning team and provided to council members once finalized.
Next steps: The council accepted the grant; the administration will finalize and share the safety plan and execution details with the council and the public as they become available.

