Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Housing Virginia Village topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Falls Church council authorizes Virginia Village affordable‑housing RFP after long public debate
Summary
After hours of public comment and technical debate over zoning, setbacks and the review process, Falls Church council voted to authorize a request for proposals (RFP) for redevelopment of Virginia Village and asked staff to draft a special‑use alternative by July 13 for consideration before second reading.
Get email alerts on the Housing Virginia Village topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Falls Church City Council voted late Thursday to authorize a request for proposals seeking redevelopment plans for the Virginia Village affordable‑housing site, after a night of extensive public comment and lengthy council debate over zoning, height limits and community protections.
Supporters from housing advocacy groups and many residents urged the council to move forward with an RFP that would leverage city property to preserve and add affordable units. "This is a unique and important opportunity for the city to provide much‑needed affordable housing," said Sonia Brie, Northern Virginia advocacy director for the Coalition for Smarter Growth. She praised the RFP’s scenarios and said the city should target units serving households at 30–80% of area median income.
Opponents and some nearby residents welcomed affordable housing but urged slower timing, clearer zoning and stronger protections for adjacent neighborhoods. "Throughout this project, private owners were given repeated assurances that the city wasn't going to do anything to our land," said Beverly Waro, a private quadplex owner in Virginia Village, asking council to slow the process and provide more detail on financial impacts. Several commenters asked the council to remove the largest‑scale development option (Scenario C) from consideration.
Council members spent hours debating whether to rely on a by‑right overlay — which gives developers predictable rules to follow — or to require a discretionary special‑use (SUP) review that would allow council or a board more direct control over massing and design. Staff urged that a clear, form‑based overlay make the site more financeable and more likely to draw experienced affordable‑housing developers. Jack Trainer, senior planner, described proposed protections that include a 35‑ft setback from Gundry Drive, a requirement that buildings within 150 feet of Gundry be capped at four stories/40 ft, and an affordable‑housing contribution tied to density incentives.
At council direction, staff was asked to prepare an alternate special‑use process for the overlay and deliver draft language by July 13 for council review. That motion — to prepare a special‑use alternative — passed. Council also considered several competing amendments to reduce maximum heights across the plan area; a large set of amendments failed, then the council later passed a narrower cap setting an absolute six‑story maximum for overlay parcels (the council voted to set a six‑story cap during first‑reading deliberations).
Planning staff emphasized that issuing the RFP after first reading is intended to test proposals and solicit realistic, financeable options while retaining the ability to fine‑tune zoning at second reading. "We are setting guardrails now and can tweak and tighten as necessary before the final vote," Planning Director Matt Matusk told council. He and other staff pointed to multiple public meetings held since January and said the RFP had been revised repeatedly based on community feedback.
The authorized RFP asks respondents to propose scenarios that preserve or replace existing units, expand affordable units (with a proposed minimum 50% affordable contribution to access density incentives or a one‑for‑one replacement alternative), and demonstrate how design will transition to Winter Hill and protect Big Chimneys Park. Staff also added scoring criteria that explicitly consider neighborhood compatibility, shadow impacts and site massing.
The procurement procedure calls for submitting executive summaries of proposals after the RFP deadline; staff said summaries will be posted publicly and that finalists can present publicly so the community has time to review and comment before council acts. Purchasing and legal staff cautioned that portions of full proposals may be confidential under procurement law; they said the city would publish the non‑proprietary executive summaries and schedule public presentations so residents can see what the evaluation committee is considering.
Council voted to authorize the purchasing agent to issue the RFP; the motion passed in roll call after a late‑night exchange. The council also referred comp‑plan and small‑area‑plan amendments to the planning commission and scheduled related public hearings. Staff will return with the drafted special‑use language and other refinements in July. If the RFP proceeds on the expected timetable, respondents will submit proposals this summer and the council expects to receive the evaluation committee’s recommendations in late August/early September.
The next formal zoning and plan steps remain the planning commission’s hearing and later council second reading; council members emphasized they expect further tweaks and public review before any binding agreement. "We can be careful without being fearful," Councilmember [name withheld in roll call] said, urging action to match the city’s stated affordable‑housing goals.
What happens next: staff will post the final RFP, issue any addenda, and accept proposals per the published schedule. Council asked staff to prepare a special‑use alternative and to provide clearer public‑engagement windows for seeing executive summaries and finalist presentations prior to any final council decision.

