Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Stormwater Infrastructure topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Union City Council approves emergency repairs after sinkholes reveal failing storm pipe

Union City Borough Council · July 9, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council authorized Mansfield to replace a failed galvanized stormwater pipe at 98 East High Street for $14,500 and to open Municipal Lot #1 for investigation and repair spending up to $6,000; both motions passed unanimously.

Councilors on the Union City Borough Council approved emergency repairs July 9 after inspections found a collapsed section of galvanized pipe and a sinkhole affecting municipal property and a private yard.

Streets Supervisor Bob Phillips told the council a camera inspection found about 50 feet of intact cement pipe followed by roughly 90–100 feet of galvanized pipe whose bottom had deteriorated; the inspection camera fell into the failed section. Mansfield, the contractor, quoted $14,500 to replace the galvanized length with plastic pipe. A separate sinkhole in Municipal Lot #1 prompted a second estimate of approximately $6,000 to cut concrete, open the hole and determine the underlying problem.

Public works liaison Councilor Steadman moved to approve Mansfield’s replacement work at 98 East High Street for $14,500; Councilor Kerns seconded and the motion carried unanimously. Council also authorized Mansfield to open and clean the hole in Municipal Lot #1, spending up to $6,000 after contacting McLallen Construction for a competing price and availability; that motion also passed unanimously.

Resident Anthony Hickey had raised stormwater concerns earlier in the meeting, saying runoff from East High and Bridge streets runs into his building during heavy rains and that he has contacted PennDOT, the borough and a state representative’s office without resolution. Borough officials said the borough will look into the problem but noted the drainage issue has existed for years.

Borough Manager Cindy Wells and the Street Supervisor said repair work is expected to proceed promptly because of the safety hazard. The council did not specify a completion date; funding will come from the borough’s operating funds as part of emergency maintenance.