Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Works topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council approves controlled burn of recycle pile after safety discussion; recreation director reports water-main break and Kennedy Drive wrap-up

Hoyt Lakes City Council · November 24, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Hoyt Lakes recreation director Kenny reported a recent water-main break and updates on Kennedy Drive; council debated controlled burning of the recycle wood pile (costs, gas-line proximity and public-complaint risks) and moved forward with a burn authorization with monitoring and cleanup conditions.

Kenny, Hoyt Lakes recreation director, reported three quick public-works items: the city experienced a water-main break (reported as occurring Monday the 10th), residents were reminded to clear boulevard items, and the Kennedy Drive road project is substantially complete with street lights now functioning and leftover landscaping scheduled for spring completion.

Council members asked Kenny for more detail about the cause of the water-main break. He said such breaks are commonly associated with ground shifts tied to rapid temperature swings rather than frost alone and that the city would monitor and respond to similar events.

The meeting also revisited a longstanding question about the recycle center’s wood pile and whether the city should return to controlled burning to avoid disposal costs. Members cited estimated contractor costs of $3,000–$5,000 to assess or manage the burn and noted that prior COVID-era limitations had stopped burning in recent years. Staff said the pile had been relocated in the past and may now sit near a gas line; council members reported conflicting guidance on safe setback distances (25, 50, 100 feet) and warned residents are likely to complain about smoke and smells.

After discussing monitoring, cleanup time ("two or three days of monitoring," Kenny said), and the possibility of moving the pile to a safer location before burning, the council moved to authorize a controlled burn with monitoring and cleanup requirements. The assent was recorded by voice; no roll-call tally was provided in the transcript.

Kenny said staff will pursue the safest, least costly option to dispose of the brush pile while mitigating public-complaint risk and complying with utility setback guidance.