Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Unsafe Building Demolition topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Crown Point board affirms demolition order for unsafe building at 201 N. Court St.
Summary
After testimony from two building inspectors, the Board found the 201 N. Court St. structure unsafe and affirmed the Building Department's demolition order, authorizing legal staff to solicit demolition bids and asking Public Works for added fencing, with a 60–90 day remediation window.
Get email alerts on the Unsafe Building Demolition topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Crown Point Board of Public Works & Safety on May 6 affirmed a demolition order for a structurally compromised building at 201 N. Court St., finding the property posed a risk to public safety.
Attorney Ben Ballou presented exhibits and questioned two building inspectors, Steve Westgate and Brad Wentz, who told the Board the building’s roof and ceiling are caving in and exterior brick walls are deteriorating and collapsing outward toward the sidewalk. Based on that testimony and the evidence presented, the Board unanimously affirmed the Building Department’s demolition order and authorized the Legal Department to proceed with obtaining demolition bids.
Mayor Pete Land told the Board that owners Richard and Judy Graves were aware of the hearing and had engaged their insurance company and a private structural engineer, who disputed aspects of the City's assessment; no resolution had been provided to the Board. The Mayor and Board members discussed a 60–90 day window to reach a solution; Public Works Director Terry Ciciora confirmed additional safety fencing would be installed at the site.
The Board directed staff to draft and file formal findings, serve notice to the owners, and begin bid solicitation for demolition work. The Board did not delay action pending the owners' outside engineer; the legal process to record the City's findings will proceed.
