Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Youth Policy topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Fayetteville council adopts youth protection ordinance after debate over criminalization

Fayetteville City Council · June 22, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The council approved youth protection (curfew) ordinances 8–2 on June 22 after debate about whether a curfew would criminalize young people; Councilmember McMillan argued for resources-focused alternatives and public input.

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — The Fayetteville City Council voted to adopt youth protection ordinances, commonly described during debate as a youth curfew, after members split over concerns the measure could criminalize young people.

Councilmember Jonathan McMillan urged colleagues not to rubber-stamp the ordinance on the consent agenda and asked for public input and fuller discussion. He said the city had previously moved toward noncriminal, supportive approaches to youth safety and urged investments in resources rather than criminalization.

Mayor Pro Tem moved to adopt the ordinances as written; the clerk recorded the motion as carrying 8–2, with McMillan and Councilmember Hondros recorded in opposition. Supporters argued the ordinances would enhance youth safety and reflected constituent concerns in affected neighborhoods.

McMillan said a "no" vote did not indicate lack of concern about gun violence or youth safety but reflected a preference for prevention-focused spending, such as mental-health response units and violence-interruption programming.

The ordinances take effect as adopted; council discussion indicated some members want additional community engagement and monitoring of enforcement practices.