Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Telecommunications topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Montebello schedules March 25 vote after extended public hearing on Homeland Towers lease
Summary
The Village of Montebello reopened a public hearing March 18 on a proposed lease with Homeland Towers to place a cellphone tower near the community center; residents raised health, property‑value and siting concerns while the company and its engineer said the tower meets applicable standards. The Board closed testimony and set a final vote for March 25, 2026.
Get email alerts on the Telecommunications topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Montebello’s Board of Trustees reopened a continued public hearing on March 18 to take additional testimony on a proposed lease with Homeland Towers LLC to place a cellphone tower at property adjacent to the Dr. Jeffrey Oppenheim Community Center and scheduled a final vote for 7 p.m. on Wednesday, March 25, 2026.
The hearing drew homeowners, independent counsel for nearby residents, and Homeland Towers’ attorney Robert Gaudioso. Gaudioso told the Board the company had provided engineering reports, drive‑test data and visual renderings and that its engineer, David A. Weinpahl, PE, concluded “the tower will be constructed in compliance with all applicable structural requirements” and that the site meets setbacks and fall‑zone limitations. He said Homeland amended its draft lease to reserve space for emergency‑services antennas and that carriers and emergency providers had expressed interest in using the structure.
Homeowners’ counsel Andrew Campanelli argued the site chosen is not the least intrusive option and suggested a higher elevation within parkland would serve coverage needs with less impact on residences. Campanelli asserted homeowners face a possible loss in value, saying homeowners "can expect a devaluation of property value by $100,000." The claim was not supported in the hearing record by an appraisal study presented as conclusive evidence; Campanelli also said some alternative sites had been reviewed previously.
Residents raised health and safety concerns. A resident who identified herself as Michele Demuro referenced a 2004 International Association of Firefighters report and described symptoms she associated with nearby antennas; Village Attorney Warren E. Berbit and the Board said an independent, double‑blind engineering review obtained by the Village and posted to the Village website found no health impacts and that federal standards under FCC rules apply to radiofrequency exposure.
Other residents urged approval, saying poor service and dropped calls pose public‑safety and quality‑of‑life problems. Joseph Kolman said slow or non‑existent service “puts lives at risk” and urged the Board to approve to improve communications for residents and first responders.
Board members discussed technical limits and lease terms. Trustees were told current construction instructions call for a 100‑foot tower, with the lease capping height at 110 feet; Gaudioso said Verizon would locate at about 100 feet, T‑Mobile at about 90 feet, and another carrier could occupy a lower mount. Homeland said the structure was designed to accommodate up to four carriers and that any future height increases would require Board approval and be at the company’s cost.
Trustees also reviewed procedural timing. After discussing whether to vote with Deputy Mayor Stacy Caridi absent, the Board agreed to adjourn the vote until Caridi could be present; the public hearing was closed at 8:30 p.m. and a special meeting to decide the lease was set for March 25 at 7:00 p.m. The record was left open for materials already submitted and new materials on the Village website.
What happens next: the Board is scheduled to take a final vote on the lease at the special meeting. If trustees approve, the Board will be acting on the lease terms in the record; if they reject it, the applicant would need to decide whether to pursue further appeals or site modifications. The Village posted hearing documents and submitted reports on the Village website during the hearing.
