Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Pasadena officials announce seizure of about 10,000 pounds of illegal fireworks, four arrests
Summary
City officials announced seizure of roughly 10,000 pounds of illegal fireworks and explosives recovered in Los Angeles, four arrests and an ongoing multiagency probe; officials reiterated that all fireworks are illegal in Pasadena and warned of criminal penalties.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Pasadena officials announced the seizure of what they described as one of the city's largest caches of illegal fireworks and explosives, saying investigators recovered about 10,000 pounds of material and made four arrests.
The mayor opened the press conference saying the operation removed a substantial stockpile that could have threatened neighborhoods during fire season. "We're here to announce the seizure of one of the largest fireworks caches that's ever been rounded up and seized," the mayor said.
Police Chief Eugene Harris said investigators served a search warrant on June 19 in the 6300 block of Woodier Boulevard in the city of Los Angeles and recovered roughly 10,000 pounds of illegal fireworks and explosives with a street value "estimated at over $120,000." Chief Harris said officers also found cash, marijuana and an uncertified firearm with an extended magazine, and that four people were arrested without incident.
Fire Chief Chad Augustine urged residents to celebrate the Fourth of July responsibly and reminded the public that "all fireworks are illegal in Pasadena." Augustine said the city will deploy joint police and fire task forces to patrol ahead of the holiday and noted that there will be no professional fireworks at the Rose Bowl this year.
Investigators described the seizure as a coordinated, multiagency effort that included the Pasadena street crimes unit, Pasadena Fire Department arson investigators, K9 teams and assistance from the Los Angeles County Bomb and Rescue squad for handling potentially improvised explosive devices. "We do believe it is tied to a criminal street gang," Investigator Louise said, adding that cellphone and forensic leads remain under review.
Officials said the site appeared to be a storefront fronting as a marijuana dispensary with storage space in the back where the fireworks were kept. Chief Harris said the investigation had been ongoing for several weeks and that photos and video would be posted on the Pasadena Police Department's website.
Pasadena officials described possible criminal penalties for fireworks-related offenses under local law. Chief Harris said penalties can range from misdemeanors carrying up to one year in county jail or fines up to $1,000, to felony charges with higher fines; any felony charges and final penalties will be determined by the district attorney's office. Officials said they were not aware of any federal charges at this time.
Officials stressed the danger posed by homemade or improvised explosive devices found in the cache, saying such devices can be more volatile than commercially produced fireworks and require bomb-squad expertise for safe transport and disposal. "These people are really good at what they do," Chief Harris said, urging that anyone with information report suspicious activity to law enforcement.
The press conference closed with officials noting the seizure's timing ahead of the holiday and reiterating a community safety message: refrain from using illegal fireworks, secure pets indoors during loud displays, and report suspicious activity so task forces can act to prevent fires and injuries.

