Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Foodborne Reporting topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Board alerted to new statewide foodborne-illness reporting system after local norovirus activity
Summary
The Board of Health was told the state now requires suspected foodborne-illness complaints be entered into a new statewide platform; members flagged communication gaps as Danvers manages norovirus activity at a long-term care facility and a daycare.
Get email alerts on the Foodborne Reporting topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Town of Danvers Board of Health on March 5 discussed a state directive requiring suspected foodborne-illness complaints to be entered into a new statewide reporting platform and raised concerns about local notification and communication from the state.
Minutes note that directors said local departments had not previously been notified about the reporting platform. Separately, staff reported recent norovirus activity at a long-term care facility and suspected norovirus at a daycare, which the board reviewed while discussing how the new reporting process will affect local outbreak management.
The board also reviewed current disease counts recorded in the minutes: multiple categories listed as fewer than five cases (reported to protect privacy), influenza confirmed 39 cases, and 21 confirmed/probable cases of novel coronavirus. Staff noted the community continues to request COVID test kits and that outbreak monitoring remains an active task.
No formal vote was recorded on the reporting platform; minutes indicate board members expressed concern about communication gaps and asked staff to follow up with state contacts to clarify reporting procedures and responsibilities.
