Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Budget Adoption topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
New Hartford Board of Education adopts $10.68 million budget, preserves staffing and pre-K expansion
Summary
The New Hartford Board of Education voted unanimously March 3 to adopt a $10,679,327 budget for 2026–27 (a 3.43% increase), preserving classroom staffing and endorsing a tuition-funded third Pre‑K section that the superintendent said was planned before the last referendum.
Get email alerts on the Budget Adoption topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The New Hartford Board of Education voted unanimously Tuesday night to adopt the 2026–27 budget proposed by Superintendent Jeffrey Sousa: $10,679,327, an increase of 3.43% ($354,651) over the prior year. Jon Puz moved to adopt the budget and Penny Miller seconded; the motion passed with all board members voting yes.
The budget maintains commitments to classroom staffing and includes targeted reductions across line items to meet the board’s guidance to lower the originally proposed increase. Superintendent Sousa outlined specific cuts including a $50,000 reduction in special education outplacement tuition (from $460,000 to $410,000) and smaller reductions to recognition, central-office supplies and school office supplies. The capital budget was set at $145,575; the board removed a classroom refresh ($20,700) and added an NHES roof study to the five‑year plan, and included a $20,000 snow tractor in the capital plan pending other task‑force outcomes.
Why it matters: the board’s vote preserves staffing flexibility for lower-grade classrooms and codifies limited capital investments while keeping the budget increase below the previously proposed level. Sousa said the district revised its enrollment projection method to move current students forward by grade, citing current enrollment of 445 and 66 births recorded at the town clerk’s office as context for kindergarten and early‑grade staffing needs. "We will absolutely be hiring another Kindergarten teacher, because we'll have a tremendous amount of births," Sousa said when playing a May 6, 2025 meeting clip that the board used to explain its Pre‑K planning.
The superintendent also clarified the district’s position on adding a third Pre‑K section: the addition, he said, was discussed publicly before the referendum and was tuition‑funded, making the hire cost neutral to the operating budget. "This move was a cost neutral addition to the 10.3‑million‑dollar budget as the program is tuition based," Sousa said, adding that the tuition revenue covers the additional teacher’s cost.
Public commenters had urged the board to maintain classroom sections. Eric and Tara White asked the district to keep four third‑grade sections for 2026–27 rather than consolidating to three; board documents show three sections would average about 20.3 students per classroom and the board’s class‑size policy allows up to 25 students in third grade. Board members also discussed staffing flexibility: Kristin Young asked about the number of kindergarten teachers and Sousa said staff may be reassigned across grades as needed based on certification to meet class‑size requirements.
The board noted a clerical figure in the adult education line that could not be changed now (an entry of $7,806 that should have read $7,086) and reiterated that enrollment projections are estimates. Recordings and minutes for the meeting will be posted to the district’s YouTube channel.
