Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Tobacco Enforcement topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Natick Board of Health suspends Speedway tobacco permit after under‑age Zyn sale, tightens enforcement of oral‑nicotine rules

Town of Natick Board of Health · January 12, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Board adopted enforcement steps under its Chapter 19 tobacco regulation, ordering a three‑day suspension of Speedway’s tobacco sales permit after a Dec. 4 sale of Zyn to a person under 21 and directing additional vendor follow‑ups for other noncompliant displays.

Karla H. Sangrey, PE, chair of the Town of Natick Board of Health, and the board voted January 12 to suspend the Tobacco Product Sales Permit at Speedway #2435, 230 Worcester Street, for three days after a December 4, 2025 sale of an oral nicotine pouch to a person under the minimum legal sales age.

Michael K. Boudreau, MPA, RS/REHS, Natick’s director of public health, told the board that, "as of January 1, 2026, Zyn products can only be sold in Adult Retail Tobacco stores." He said health agents inspected vendors after the rule took effect, found most in compliance and instructed those still displaying oral‑nicotine products to remove them; follow‑up letters will be sent and fines or permit suspensions may be implemented for continued noncompliance.

At the Speedway hearing, the board recorded that a Correction/Cease and Desist order and a $1,000 fine had been issued to the store on December 8, 2025 after the under‑age sale. Daryl Hull, appearing remotely to represent Speedway, said the company has training, policies and mandatory video instruction in place and that personnel action was taken related to the incident; he told the board he was "very upset" when he learned of the violation. The board relied on 105 CMR 040(d) in setting the three‑day permit suspension for January 20–22, 2026.

The board permanently affirmed its enforcement approach to Chapter 19, the local regulation restricting sale of tobacco and oral‑nicotine products, and authorized staff to send compliance letters and pursue fines or permit actions where sellers fail to remove prohibited products from display.

The suspension was approved by roll‑call vote: Karla H. Sangrey, Peter A. Delli Colli, DMD, and Donald J. Breda, PE all voted yes. The board’s action follows the December corrective order and fine and aims to reinforce the January 1, 2026 rule limiting sales to adult‑retail tobacco outlets.

The board did not announce further administrative penalties at the meeting; staff will carry out the follow‑up inspections and enforcement steps described by the director.