Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the School Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Ansonia Board of Education approves $400,000 in recommended cuts after referendum defeats, urges voters to turn out
Summary
After two failed referendums, the Ansonia Board of Education voted May 15 to forward roughly $400,000 in recommended cuts to the Board of Aldermen; the superintendent warned further rejection could force staff reductions that would affect classrooms, and residents urged state advocacy and more voter outreach.
Get email alerts on the School Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Ansonia Board of Education voted May 15 to approve a package of recommended cuts totaling about $400,000 and will submit that package to the Board of Aldermen for consideration. Board President Rich Bshara opened the Zoom meeting saying the purpose was to "explain the budget process" and to encourage voter turnout on forthcoming referendums.
The cuts were proposed after two successive referendums failed to secure approval for an earlier, larger budget. Bshara and Superintendent Michael DiBacco said the district faces rising costs — including utilities, transportation and notably Special Education — that produced a roughly $1.9 million increase request this year and left administrators seeking reductions that minimize classroom impacts. The revised budget under discussion would represent about a $1.58 million increase over the prior year, the board said.
The list of proposed reductions includes delaying or cancelling new Advanced Placement math and science textbooks, cutting English-language-learner middle-school materials, reducing basic supply budgets, scaling back elementary and middle after-school programs, eliminating a full-time lead security position, cancelling certain online subscriptions, trimming middle-school and junior varsity athletics and equipment purchases, deferring building maintenance and postponing technology upgrades.
Superintendent DiBacco told the board he was striving to "cut things that are not completely necessary and as far away as the classroom as possible," but he warned that if voters continue to reject budgets the district would have to consider personnel reductions that would directly affect student learning.
Board members and administrators highlighted Special Education and transportation as the largest cost pressures. Bshara described constraints in state reimbursement for Excess Special Education costs and said the district's Educational Cost Sharing funding has not increased proportionally in recent years; Assistant Superintendent Steve Bergin said the pattern of limited state reimbursement is a key reason the district is under strain. The board also reported limited ability to lower transportation costs because the district contracts with the only provider serving the area.
During the public-comment portion, residents urged outreach and state-level advocacy. Nancy Monaco told the board Ansonia's "students deserve more" and urged continued pressure on state funding formulas. Mat Hough, president of the Ansonia Federation of Teachers, said the district currently is receiving the full amount of ECS funding under the present formula but acknowledged that amount may be insufficient to cover rising costs. Several residents, including long-time teachers and parents, said the proposed cuts would harm students and urged officials to pursue other municipal savings and to educate voters — including seniors and people not online — about the ballot.
Board member Chris Phipps clarified the procedural consequences of a failed vote: if nothing is approved by July 1 the district would revert to last year's budget, effectively creating a roughly $2 million shortfall heading into the next school year, he said. After discussion the board voted to approve the recommended cuts and forward them to the Board of Aldermen; the recorded vote shows the three members present voting in favor.
The board closed the meeting with Superintendent DiBacco thanking attendees; President Bshara urged residents to review materials posted on the district website and to participate in upcoming votes. The Board of Aldermen will consider the package next as the city determines its final budget and whether to present any alternative proposals to voters.
