Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the School Meals topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Board hearing: state funding change means reduced-price students will no longer receive free lunches; families may owe 40 cents

Orange School District Board of Education · August 19, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

District staff told the board that Connecticut will stop funding free lunches for students who qualified for reduced-price meals under prior American Rescue funds; families who previously had free lunches due to reduced-price eligibility will return to paying 40 cents beginning 2025–26 and some households must re-certify eligibility.

The Orange School District was told Aug. 18 that the state will no longer provide free lunches to students who qualify for reduced-price meals under earlier American Rescue funding. Mr. Gray, the district business officer, said the change takes effect in the 2025–26 school year and families who previously received free lunches because they qualified for reduced price will now return to paying the reduced-price amount, 40 cents.

"As of July of this year, 2025, the state of Connecticut will no longer provide free school meals to students who qualify for reduced lunch through the star funds program," Mr. Gray told the board during his business and operations report. He said federal and state Title grants that fund universal free meals in prior years have been altered, and families should expect the change when school begins.

Mr. Gray said families who are directly certified will continue to receive free meals, and urged any family that thinks it may qualify for free or reduced-price meals to apply. "It doesn't hurt to apply," he said, noting some families will need to re-certify by the 30th day of school.

The board was told the district's standard paid lunch price remains $3.40. During a short question-and-answer exchange, a board member confirmed that the 40-cent reduced-price level will resume for qualifying students and Mr. Gray clarified that the policy change stems from the state not continuing the previously provided funding.

District staff framed the change as a state funding shift rather than a local policy decision and directed parents with questions about eligibility or the application process to the district Food Services webpages and to contact school offices for assistance. Mr. Gray referenced the Food Services tab on the district website for the application and an income chart that details qualification thresholds.

The change was presented as an operational update during the business report; the board did not take a vote on this matter at the meeting and no additional district action was announced that night. Parents were advised to check district communications and to complete eligibility forms if they believe they qualify.