Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Board approves $628,162 in FY2027 reductions, shifting some costs to families and deferring positions
Summary
After extended discussion, the South Windsor Board of Education approved $628,162 in reductions to its FY2027 appropriation, including increased family fees for some activities, deferral of two staff positions to FY2028, and use of one-time state funds to offset part of the cuts.
Get email alerts on the Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The South Windsor Board of Education on May 26 approved $628,162 in reductions to its proposed fiscal year 2027 appropriation after the town council cut the district request. The motion, made by Mr. Nettles and carried after discussion, instructs the administration to implement a package of cost shifts and deferrals aimed at protecting core programs while meeting the reduced appropriation.
Board member Mr. Nettles moved “to approve the budget reductions as presented,” which Dr. Carter and district finance staff then described in detail. The package groups the reductions into four primary approaches: shifting costs to families for certain activities and field trips; deferring two proposed positions to FY2028; relying on Medicaid reimbursements for the transition program; and reducing the district health care account by approximately $261,086, an amount partially offset by $456,324 in one‑time state funding.
District staff summarized the expected family-cost shifts: about $56,000 in field‑trip cost recovery, an $8,400 restructuring of elementary Bike Week (shifting helmet and related costs to families and piloting a signup/pay model on early‑release afternoons), roughly $5,000 from middle‑school gifted field‑trip fees, increased matinee fees, and a $50 per‑sport increase in high‑school pay‑to‑play with caps expected to generate about $30,000. Staff said honor cords will be covered by a $4 family fee rather than the taxpayer-funded appropriation; they emphasized these fees are intended to cover cost, not generate profit.
Dr. Carter warned the board about long‑term risks of relying on one‑time funds: “That offset will allow us to [reduce] the healthcare account with a one‑time deposit from state funding,” she said, adding that the district must avoid creating a funding cliff should the money not recur. The administration said tuition for the full‑day preschool program offsets some costs but that space — not tuition revenue — is the primary barrier to immediate expansion.
Board discussion highlighted concerns about equity and program access. Several members said they were troubled to shift costs to families given rising household expenses. Mr. Marks noted that while each individual fee may look small on the budget ledger, the cumulative effect on families is meaningful. Mrs. Shaw said the district will continue to waive fees for students eligible for free or reduced-price meals and to work with families on individual hardship cases.
The board also heard that deferring a planned high‑school social‑studies teacher will continue to limit elective availability and may force prioritization of graduation‑requirement courses over electives if staffing levels do not improve.
The motion passed by voice/roll call. Next procedural steps include implementing the fee and program adjustments and ongoing monitoring by administration and the board. The board also noted it will continue to press for stable state funding solutions to reduce the need for recurring cuts.
Votes at a glance: the motions to approve the $628,162 reductions and related budget items passed; routine consent items, the FY2026 fourth budget status report, adoption of a new history textbook, and certifications under Connecticut nutrition law were also approved earlier in the meeting.

