Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Stormwater topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Yarmouth approves Grove Street stormwater retrofit to reduce runoff into Lewis Bay

Yarmouth Conservation Commission · February 19, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The commission approved a stormwater retrofit at Grove Street designed to remove pavement, install a sediment forebay, spillway and bioretention area with native plants to reduce untreated runoff to Lewis Bay; commissioners debated sand fencing and parking impacts.

The Yarmouth Conservation Commission on Feb. 19, 2026 approved a stormwater retrofit at Grove Street intended to reduce untreated runoff into Lewis Bay.

Town and consultant representatives including Nathan Whetten (Town of Yarmouth Engineering) and Horsley Witten staff (April Wobst, Amy Ball and Janelle Veary) described a design that removes existing pavement, installs a sediment forebay and spillway, and establishes a bioretention area planted with native vegetation. Presenters said the system is designed to capture a large portion of runoff during a 1-inch storm event; the transcript’s numeric text reads "g3o/o," which is unclear and was not clarified during the meeting.

Commissioners focused discussion on two issues: whether sand fencing should be used on the dune to direct pedestrian traffic and encourage sand accumulation, and parking impacts. Commissioner Bradford Bower questioned whether sand fencing was consistent with a low-profile approach in the velocity flood zone and whether fencing could become storm debris; project representatives said sand fence is regularly used in velocity zones and helps with sand accumulation. Commissioner Paul Huggins raised concerns that the project area could be disturbed by beachgoers and questioned why two existing parking spaces would be lost; presenters said the two-car area appears lightly used and that a proposed private driveway necessitates the loss.

The director of the Department of Natural Resources reviewed the project and did not express concern about use or parking, according to the Conservation Administrator. Chair David Bernstein asked whether homeowners had been approached about pervious driveways; Ms. Lima said it had been discussed with an adjacent homeowner during building-permit review and that engineering would recommend pervious driveways when appropriate.

The commission voted 5–1 to issue the Order of Conditions with special conditions and oversight. Commissioners directed the applicant to provide final design details that address fence profile, parking impacts and disturbance mitigation before construction. The item was recorded as SE83-2521 and will be subject to the standard monitoring and any special conditions issued by the commission.

Next steps: Applicant to submit final plan revisions; the commission expects construction oversight and follow-up reporting per the Order of Conditions.