Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Health Outreach topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Concord Board of Health: February disease counts, sunscreen stations and mental‑health outreach announced
Summary
At its March 18 meeting the Concord Board of Health reviewed February communicable-disease figures and approved a set of outreach and preparedness measures, including public sunscreen dispensers, a Yellow Tulip mental‑health awareness effort, an Instagram launch and shelter‑planning improvements.
Get email alerts on the Public Health Outreach topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Katie Stanislawzyk, Concord's public health nurse, told the Board on March 18 that the town's February communicable-disease report listed cases across several conditions and summarized recent prevention and outreach work.
Stanislawzyk presented the month’s case counts and said the packet listed 14 influenza cases, 15 novel coronavirus (SARS) cases, 3 Lyme disease cases, 1 enterovirus case and 1 giardiasis case; other listed conditions were reported as zero. "A new Instagram account for the Concord Health Division was also launched and has gained about 30 followers so far," she said.
She described several prevention efforts aimed at summer activity sites: through a partnership with Impact Melanoma and Emerson Health, public sunscreen dispensers will be installed at the Hunt Recreation Center, Giroux Park, White Pond and the Visitor Center. Stanislawzyk said the Health Division has promoted Concord Community Clinicians through flyers and social media and will place yard signs with QR codes at sites participating in the Yellow Tulip Project, an initiative to destigmatize mental health.
Stanislawzyk also briefed the Board on community events and clinics: staff participated in a blood-pressure clinic at the Council on Aging and are organizing an ice-cream social tied to the Yellow Tulip Project on April 16 to encourage conversation and share resources.
On emergency preparedness, she summarized an after-action report for the FEP Region 4AB tabletop exercise and identified three priority improvement areas, including better coordination with Carlisle on emergency sheltering (naming Concord-Carlisle High School and Harvey Wheeler Community Center) and drafting a more detailed shelter plan informed by a February mock shelter drill and a Mass Maritime intern. She said the goal is to finalize related agreements by the end of the year.
The nurse’s report and outreach plans were presented as informational updates; no Board vote was required. The Health Division set a goal to engage roughly 1% of Concord’s population (about 180 residents) with these outreach efforts by the end of June 2026.
