Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Community Investment And Demolition topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents urge Dayton commission to strengthen demolition notice and invest in West Dayton

Dayton City Commission · June 24, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Multiple residents at the June 24 meeting pressed the commission for clearer demolition notifications, greater transparency in major decisions, and targeted investments in West and Northwest Dayton, while commissioners acknowledged concerns and flagged a demolition report and housing-condition review for follow-up.

Residents filled the public-comment portions of the June 24 Dayton City Commission meeting with repeated calls for stronger neighborhood protections and more targeted investment in historically disinvested areas.

Talib Petaway urged the City to require greater public notice prior to demolition and questioned how the City determines when properties under rehabilitation may nevertheless be demolished. Ebony Hastings called for increased transparency and explanation of City Manager recommendations and votes on major matters, and asked the commission to expand opportunities for public oversight. Rodney Stark and other residents raised concerns about blight, redevelopment transparency (including questions about ownership, funding and remediation costs at 34 N. Main Street) and historical redlining as drivers of neighborhood disinvestment.

Commissioners acknowledged those concerns. Commissioner Beckham said the City would consider recommendations on demolition policy and highlighted planned upgrades to the Gateway Men's Shelter and support for the Boys & Girls Club investment in West Dayton. Commissioner Fairchild said a demolition report will be presented next week and referenced an upcoming housing condition report to help guide blight-removal priorities. Deputy City Manager Joseph Parlette summarized staff initiatives, noting the Montgomery County grant that "provides up to $150,000 to support personnel costs associated with the street outreach program operated through the previously approved agreement with Miami Valley Housing Opportunities," and described design work for Gateway Shelter and a proposed $250,000 development agreement with the Boys & Girls Club as part of a $25 million project.

Other public comments addressed recreation services, traffic enforcement and rental property maintenance. David Esrati raised concerns about pool hours, lifeguard staffing and facility maintenance; Paul Kerregan requested traffic enforcement on Pershing Boulevard and assistance with rental property upkeep.

What the commission will do next: staff will present a demolition report next week, and commissioners indicated the city will continue vetting redevelopment agreements and report back on procurement and property-disposition questions. No ordinance or policy change to demolition procedures was adopted at the meeting.