Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Federal Budget topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

MCB says federal funding delays left about 4,000 consumers temporarily without SNAP payments, agency reports fiscal measures in place

Massachusetts Commission for the Blind Advisory Board ยท November 21, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At its Nov. 4 advisory meeting the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind said a federal shutdown has delayed SNAP-related grant disbursements affecting roughly 4,000 consumers; the commission said it has sufficient FY25 and state funds to maintain services through the near term while awaiting a continuing resolution.

The Massachusetts Commission for the Blind (MCB) told its advisory board on Nov. 4 that a federal funding lapse has interrupted SNAP-related disbursements for about 4,000 of the agency's consumers but that the commission is using remaining FY25 and state funds to maintain services.

Commissioner John said the shutdown has created uncertainty over the timing of a continuing resolution and that agencies are hearing varying estimates for when funds will flow. "Some people say it'll be two days after Wednesday. I've heard others that can say it can be as many as five days after Wednesday," he said, adding that estimates now stretch into the following week once weekends are factored in.

John outlined how a continuing resolution (CR) would restore partial federal funding in phased payments and noted the agency's matching obligation for incoming grants. "It's going to be it's 21 1/2% of what the grant is that we're going to be receiving," he said, describing the match as a recurring portion of grant funding the state must provide.

The commissioner said the Rehab Services Administration (the agency's federal partner) has furloughed most staff during the shutdown but that MCB had filed required reports on time. By submitting its fiscal filings, he said, MCB received electronic authorization to continue using remaining FY25 funds. "So although the operation is on furlough, those individuals that are remaining on site are performing those financial duties that need to be performed," he said.

MCB staff also circulated a resources spreadsheet for directors and social workers to help connect consumers to local food pantries; board members said pantries appeared well stocked and public donations had increased.

The advisory board voted earlier in the meeting to accept the minutes from Oct. 7. That procedural motion was approved by voice vote.

What happens next: the commission said it will monitor developments in Washington and the status of any continuing resolution. Commissioner John told the board he planned to follow up with staff and directors as federal guidance is updated.