Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Comment topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents press council on land acknowledgment, immigrant aid and homelessness; commenter alleges city attorney ineligibility

Ontario City Council · September 16, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Public commenters urged the council to adopt a land acknowledgement and an immigrant-relief fund, raised homelessness and speeding concerns, and a resident accused the city attorney of lacking eligibility to practice law; a councilmember later defended the attorney.

Several residents and agency representatives addressed the Ontario City Council on issues ranging from recognition of indigenous lands to homelessness and local services.

Tina Silva urged the council to adopt a land acknowledgment, saying Ontario sits on Tongva ancestral lands and that a formal acknowledgement would demonstrate leadership and respect. She also urged creation of an immigrant relief or compassion fund to assist families affected by ICE enforcement, saying, 'Ontario is a target for immigration enforcement.'

During public comment Michael Rios repeated a concern previously raised at a prior meeting: 'On July 15 ... the city attorney was not eligible to practice law in the state of California,' he said, and requested an explanation for how the city attorney represented the city while, according to his claim, not eligible. The mayor and staff offered to have city staff meet with Rios privately after the meeting.

Kizzy praised recent police engagement on homelessness but called Grove Plaza 'a hotbed for nefarious activities,' described people bathing in public and reported speeding near Levi Dickey school, saying drivers are traveling 'upwards of 40 miles per hour on the 25 zone.' City staff invited Kizzy to speak with Deputy Chief Lopez and Housing Director Albert Ramirez in the lobby for follow-up.

Eugenio Lozano, who said he is currently unhoused, appealed for respect and assistance and highlighted concerns about covered street signs and speed limits that he said worsen hazards for residents. Judith Pina of the California Department of Insurance introduced herself as the outreach liaison for San Bernardino and Riverside counties and offered consumer‑education resources and future presentations.

Later in the meeting Councilmember Watner addressed Rios's allegation and stated his support for the city attorney: 'I have full faith and confidence in our city attorney, mister Reuben Duran. And I can tell you confidently there's never been a day that he has been legally authorized to represent the city of Ontario as our city attorney' (Watner was disputing the implication that Duran was ineligible). The meeting record does not include documentary proof resolving Rios's claim; the issue remained unresolved on the public record at this meeting.

What’s next: Staff offered individual follow-up with police and housing staff for several commenters; the council did not take a formal vote or produce a report on the allegation about the city attorney at this meeting.