Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Code Enforcement topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Health and Safety Standards Board votes to pursue violations at Daymon Circle, Sligo Street and Vandever Road

Health and Safety Standards Board · May 20, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The board voted May 20 to pursue code violations at two Daymon Circle parcels, issue a violation at 542 Sligo Street, and send notices related to an abandoned trailer on Vandever Road; one Tresa Street parcel received a 30-day reprieve while a potential buyer is explored.

The Health and Safety Standards Board on May 20 directed staff to escalate enforcement at several Cumberland County properties after receiving reports that lots remained occupied and unsecured.

At the meeting in the small courtroom of the historic courthouse, codes staff said notices for 268 and 299 Daymon Circle appeared in the Crossville Chronicle on April 21 and April 28 and that a man identified as Kenneth Wilkie had been served at 268. Board members heard neighbors say RVs remain on the parcels, that occupants appear to be squatters, that no septic, water or electric hookups were active, and that one camper had been digging a hole to dispose of trash. County Attorney Philip Burnett recommended coordinating with the sheriff’s office to ask occupants to vacate if they cannot prove residency. Richard Bringenberg moved that Burnett coordinate with the sheriff to seek vacatur beginning May 28 — roughly 30 days after the last published notice — Sheryl Webb seconded, and the motion carried.

The board also considered the Tresa Street property while neighbors and owner Rance Cagle were present. Cagle told the board his current lessee plans to move within a month and that the septic had been pumped monthly; he said he may have a prospective buyer. After discussion, Tom Isham moved to allow 30 more days for progress and to revisit the case at the next meeting. That motion was recorded as carried.

Codes staff reported a separate matter at 542 Sligo Street, where an RV remained next to a single-family house and trash littered the exterior. The property owner is deceased and staff said the owner’s son had moved into the house but had not cleared the trash despite repeated outreach since January. Tom Isham moved to issue a notice of violation to James Jones at 542 Sligo Street via certified mail; Sheryl Webb seconded and the motion carried.

At Vandever Road, codes described an abandoned double-wide trailer with broken windows and an unsecured structure. Staff said they contacted the granddaughter of the deceased owners, who indicated she would clean up the site, but a 30-day reinspection turned up little progress and the structure had not been boarded. Inspector John Doddroe asked whether the property could at least be boarded up. Tom Isham moved to issue violations and send notices to two addresses in the granddaughter’s care; Sheryl Webb seconded and the motion carried.

The board’s actions were procedural enforcement votes; no ordinances or new policy parameters were adopted. The board scheduled a follow-up as needed and directed staff and the county attorney to coordinate further with enforcement partners. The next board meeting is June 24, 2026.