Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Ukraine Humanitarian topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

UN condemns missile and drone strikes on Kyiv as civilian casualties rise, urges ceasefire

United Nations Spokesperson Briefing · July 2, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Secretary-General condemned overnight missile and drone attacks on Kyiv and other Ukrainian cities, citing reports of at least 20 deaths and a UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission finding a 40% rise in civilian casualties between December and May; the UN called for urgent de-escalation and increased humanitarian support.

The United Nations strongly condemned overnight missile and drone strikes on Kyiv and other Ukrainian cities, the spokesperson said, citing reports of at least 20 people killed and dozens injured.

“Any attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure, wherever they occur, are a clear violation of international humanitarian law and must stop immediately,” the spokesperson said, summarizing the Secretary‑General’s stance and his appeal for urgent de‑escalation leading to a full, immediate and unconditional ceasefire.

UN humanitarian officials noted that the attacks intensify psychological trauma among affected populations. The UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission reported that civilian casualties rose about 40 percent between December of last year and May of this year compared with the same period a year earlier. Aid partners, including local NGOs and UN agencies, are providing psychological first aid and registering impacted families for humanitarian cash assistance.

The briefing urged continued protection of civilians and humanitarian personnel and called for unimpeded access so partners can deliver food, medical and psychosocial support. The Secretary‑General reiterated that those responsible for attacks against civilians should be held to account and repeated an urgent plea for de‑escalation to prevent further civilian suffering.

The spokesperson said the UN will continue to monitor the humanitarian situation and coordinate with partners on emergency relief and protection measures.