Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Emergency Response topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Hobart officials detail tornado response, ClayCo offers site for debris

Board of Public Works and Safety, City of Hobart · June 17, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Mayor Huddlestun told the Board the city coordinated power restoration with NIPSCO, opened an MRC shelter, and arranged for ClayCo to accept brush and debris after a recent tornado; staff are compiling costs for potential state reimbursement.

Mayor Huddlestun told the Board of Public Works and Safety on June 17 that city staff have been coordinating recovery after last week’s tornado and are assembling cost information for possible state reimbursement.

Huddlestun said ClayCo, which operates a local data‑center site, offered the company’s property as a temporary disposal location for brush and storm debris and that company staff will handle disposal. He also said he spent substantial time on calls with NIPSCO to restore power and that most customers are back online though some residents remain without service.

“ClayCo … allowed the City to dump all of that on their site and they would take care of it for the City,” Huddlestun said in presenting the update.

Huddlestun told the Board that the city opened the Mass‑Care/Recovery Center (MRC) both last Thursday and again on the day of the meeting for residents needing shelter and that staff are reviewing alerting options. He noted prior analysis showed four new outdoor sirens would cost roughly $1.5 million and said the city will re‑examine alternatives including broader use of digital alerts and potentially distributing weather radios.

Chief of Staff Kelly Clemens announced the Brickyard Run on June 27 and otherwise the Board moved through routine business. No formal action was required for the storm response briefing; the Board’s votes at the meeting were limited to administrative motions listed in the minutes.