Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Infrastructure Parks topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council rejects Civic Center parking-lot bids after costs surge; approves space-planning contract over objections
Summary
Monroe council unanimously rejected bids for Civic Center parking-lot repairs after lowest proposals far exceeded revised estimates, and approved a separate space-planning contract amid several recorded 'nay' votes. Administration said temporary repairs will proceed while a revised plan is developed.
Get email alerts on the Infrastructure Parks topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Monroe City Council on May 26 unanimously rejected bids for the Monroe Civic Center parking-lot repairs after the lowest proposal returned far above administration’s available budget, and approved a separate space-planning contract for the Civic Center amid a split vote.
Administration representative Mr. McCallister told the council the project’s scope grew after adding lighting, landscaping, drainage and traffic-flow improvements, lifting the engineer’s estimate from about $2 million to nearly $3 million. "The lowest proposal received totaled approximately $3.9 million," he said, and several other bids exceeded $5 million, prompting a substitute motion to reject the bids so administration could re-scope and re-price the project.
Councilmember Mr. Muhammad moved, and Ms. Woods seconded, Resolution No. 9138 to reject the submitted bids; the motion was approved unanimously. McCallister said administration would pursue temporary cleaning and restriping of the lot before returning with a revised bid package and updated cost estimate.
Separately, the council accepted a bid from Grindstone Construction, LLC for the Monroe Civic Center Space Planning Improvements Project. That vote recorded three members as voting "Nay"—Ms. Woods, Chairman Rodney McFarland and Mr. Muhammad—while the motion nevertheless was accepted. Mr. Muhammad questioned whether the project had been scaled down from an original $3.5 million estimate toward a $2.7 million target; McCallister said the base bid was about $2.8 million and that adding alternates later could raise the total.
Council members emphasized fiscal caution. Chairman McFarland noted the revised amounts remained over budget and urged administration to provide clearer pre-bid estimates in the future. Mr. McCallister said administration would consult engineering and contractors to produce a revised estimate before readvertising the parking-lot work.
The council did not receive public comment on these items. The practical next step is for administration to return with a narrowed scope and cost estimate for the parking-lot repairs; temporary repairs are expected to be completed in the interim.
