Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Wentworth Cellular Tower topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Neighbors urge Mendota Heights council to reject 149-foot cellular tower proposed for Wentworth Park

City Council, City of Mendota Heights · May 5, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents told the Mendota Heights City Council on May 5 that a Conditional Use Permit for a 149-foot cellular tower in Wentworth Park is inappropriate for a residential park, alleging ordinance violations and urging an independent study of coverage and alternatives.

At the May 5 Mendota Heights City Council meeting, residents urged the council to reject a Conditional Use Permit for a proposed 149‑foot cellular tower at Wentworth Park, calling the structure inappropriate for a residential park and saying the developer and City process had been flawed.

Jack Evans of 796 Lower Colonial Drive told the council the proposal "is not viable," alleging the developer "did not consider impacts to the community" and "the ordinance was not followed by the developer." Gayra Ostgaard of 757 Upper Colonial Drive described the tower as "the equivalent of a 15‑story building" in a residential area and within a park and said a private resident had identified multiple ordinance inconsistencies that City staff had not caught.

Both speakers said the Planning Commission expressed concern about ordinance compliance and requested an independent study of coverage and siting alternatives, but that the Commission’s recommendation could be overridden by the City Council. Ostgaard specifically asked the Council to "honor the request and to fund an independent study to determine the problem that exists with cellular coverage and outline options to resolve those problems."

Councilors did not vote on the tower at the May 5 meeting. The commentary came during the public comment portion of the agenda; members of the public and Planning Commission materials raised questions about whether the proposed site and application meet City ordinance standards and called for additional, independent analysis before the Council acts. The Council has not scheduled a final decision on the CUP at this meeting; residents asked the Council to consider funding an independent technical study of coverage, alternatives and ordinance compliance before any approval.

Next steps: The CUP will proceed through the City’s review process. Residents who addressed the council asked the City to fund an independent study and to ensure Planning Commission concerns about ordinance compliance are fully addressed before the Council considers action.