Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Police Accountability topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents and officers urge independent probe after contested arrest and personnel moves
Summary
Public commenters and current and former officers told the Safety Committee they want an independent investigation into a March arrest and alleged subsequent retaliation and leadership failures, saying local review and a Law Director opinion leave questions unresolved.
Get email alerts on the Police Accountability topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Several residents, current and former officers and family members urged the North Royalton Safety Committee on March 17 to seek an independent investigation into a recent arrest and the Police Department’s handling of the case.
At public comment, Michael Beck said the city’s response raised serious concerns and called for a council-initiated probe. “This stinks to me like some sort of coverup,” Beck said, urging the committee to use its charter power to investigate department affairs.
Why it matters: Speakers said the controversy touches officer discipline, evidence handling and morale at the Police Department. Multiple comments referenced a vote of no confidence by department employees and the termination of one officer who reported concerns.
Sam and Nicole Cruse presented excerpts from body‑camera footage and questioned a Law Director letter that labeled the traffic stop a “weak stop.” Sam Cruse described footage showing slurred speech, admission of alcohol use and officers’ observations of intoxication; he also said firearm evidence that he asserts was present on the arrestee had been removed from the charging paperwork. “How was he supposed to share it?” Nicole Cruse asked, criticizing what she called retaliation against the reporting officer.
Family members spoke about the personal impact. Melissa Lowe, who identified herself as the spouse of an officer involved, emphasized character and integrity: “Integrity means choosing dignity over retaliation,” she told the committee.
Former officer Jason Kimmel, speaking from decades of policing experience, said staffing and morale have declined and warned that heavy public scrutiny and internal distrust make it harder to recruit and retain officers. “They’re not going to if they think they’re going to be sacrificed,” Kimmel said.
Mayor Larry Antoskiewicz told the committee he offered to hold one-on-one meetings with officers after the vote of no confidence but said the union declined that offer. He also said he attempted shift‑level outreach.
What the committee did: No formal action to open an independent investigation was taken during the Safety Committee meeting. The committee heard public comment and recorded motions on unrelated agenda items (see “Votes at a glance”).
What remains unresolved: Commenters asked why a Law Director’s review concluded some searches or charges were improper while the video excerpts they submitted appear to them to show intoxication and firearms in the vehicle. Committee members did not announce a follow-up independent probe during the meeting.
Next step: Citizens asked council to use its charter authority to investigate; council or committee members may take that request up at a subsequent meeting.
