Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Newberry Arts Center Contract topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Newberry council authorizes design-build contract for Arts Center after $487,000 budget increase

Newberry City Council · September 10, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Newberry City Council authorized City Manager Jason Taylor to sign a design-build contract with Tyler Construction to renovate the former Newberry Observer building into the Newberry Arts Center, approving a $487,000 increase covered by city funds and unanimous council vote.

The Newberry City Council on Sept. 10 authorized the City Manager to enter a design-build agreement with Tyler Construction to renovate the former Newberry Observer building into the Newberry Arts Center, after staff reported the selected firm's guaranteed maximum price was $487,000 over the previously approved project budget.

City staff recommended covering the additional cost with $250,000 drawn from the Community Housing and Development Fund and $237,000 from Hospitality Tax funds. City Manager Jason Taylor told council that a contract prepared by the city attorney establishes a 60-day design phase followed by a 12-month construction period; an initial design kickoff meeting was held Sept. 4, 2024.

The contract award followed a request for proposals process; Tyler Construction was the firm selected to perform the work. CREATE Newberry Inc., the nonprofit partner on programming for the Arts Center, is raising funds for furnishings, fixtures and equipment and has a donor pledged for a decorative sculpture or fountain for the building's front lawn, the council was told. CREATE representative Alanna Boozer thanked the city for its continued support.

Councilmember Carlton L. Kinard moved to authorize the City Manager to enter the design-build contract; Councilmember David T. Force seconded. The motion carried by unanimous vote of the councilmembers present.

The council did not seek further changes to the contract at the meeting; city staff will proceed with the design phase and return to council with updates as required by procurement and budget procedures.