Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Parklets topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Rutherford council rejects ordinance that would have banned parklets after large public turnout

Borough of Rutherford Mayor and Council · April 14, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After more than an hour of public comment from restaurant owners and residents, the Rutherford Borough Council voted unanimously April 13 to defeat a second-reading ordinance that would have prohibited parklets and other outdoor dining structures.

The Rutherford Borough Council on April 13 voted down a proposed ordinance that would have banned parklets — outdoor dining platforms placed in curbside parking spaces — after an extended public-comment period in which dozens of residents and business owners urged the council to preserve outdoor dining.

The debate began when the sponsoring council member said he had changed his position and moved that the ordinance not be adopted, citing both procedural and substantive concerns. Councilman Erico told the council he had received new feedback from business owners and colleagues and would not support adoption at this meeting.

Business owners and residents said parklets are vital to downtown commerce and to the survival of many restaurants. "Outdoor dining has strengthened our business and brought energy to Downtown Park Avenue for the past five years," said Piero Caldarelli, manager of a Park Avenue restaurant, urging the council to reject the ban. Kat Tapala, another Park Avenue owner, said parklets add roughly 24 seats and produce significant revenue that supports staff wages and local suppliers.

Dan Meredith, president of the Rutherford Chamber of Commerce, urged the council to postpone a final decision until businesses had more time to plan. "Because of the late timing to consider keeping or not keeping the parklets, I feel that decision should be postponed," Meredith said, noting many restaurants had already invested in equipment and staff planning for the season.

Council members acknowledged the public turnout and the competing concerns. Several members said they believed notice and outreach about the proposal had been insufficient and described a need for further, collaborative discussion. Council President Stephanie McGowan said she appreciated public input and emphasized the need to continue conversation about equitable access and planning.

On the roll-call vote to adopt the ordinance (second reading), the council recorded 'No' from the voting members, defeating the measure. The council did not adopt any ban at this meeting; members said they expect continued discussion in the coming weeks and suggested convening stakeholders — business owners, residents and borough staff — for further problem-solving.

The council’s action means the parklet program will remain in place for now; several council members urged future conversations to include options for signage, parking wayfinding and other mitigations that might address objections raised by some residents.

The meeting was live and lengthy; the council moved on to other agenda items after the vote.