Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Quorum And Adjournment topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

South Miami design review board adjourns after member recusal; projects to proceed under staff recommendations

City of South Miami Design Review Board · December 17, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The City of South Miami Design Review Board adjourned a brief meeting after a member recused himself, leaving the board without quorum. Staff and the city attorney said the two projects on the agenda will move forward under staff recommendations and applicants should follow up with staff for next steps.

The City of South Miami Design Review Board adjourned a short meeting after a board member recused himself, leaving the panel without the four members needed for a quorum. Staff told applicants the two agenda projects would proceed under staff recommendations rather than a board vote.

The move came after Lourdes Cabrera, chambers staff, informed the board that “Mariano Corral does have to recuse himself. He is the landscape architect on both of these items,” which reduced the number of eligible voting members for the day. Board members discussed whether to delay or try to contact absent members but ultimately did not reach a fifth member.

The chair announced the decision to end the meeting, saying the board would adjourn because it could not achieve the quorum needed to act. The city attorney advised staff and members that, if the quorum could not be restored, the items should be advanced pursuant to staff reports. As the city attorney put it, presenters should “be advised that your projects will move forward with staff's recommendations as listed on the agenda packet and staff backup.”

Staff recorded roll call earlier in the session listing Lourdes Cabrera and attendees identified as Marcus Lightfoot, Sibrata, Mariano Corral, Javier Baena and Daniel Guerra. Staff also noted two items on the agenda and named Juan Castillo and Mr. Rodriguez as applicants for those items.

The meeting concluded without formal votes or board action on the projects. Applicants were instructed to follow up with Lourdes Cabrera and Marcus (staff) for next steps and to receive the staff backup materials referenced by the city attorney. The board exchanged brief holiday greetings before adjourning.