Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the 606 Sanders Restoration topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Prospective buyer asks Pineville council for time to restore 606 Sanders; council approves condemnation with conditions
Summary
William LeBlanc, a prospective buyer from Washington, asked the Pineville council on Dec. 16 for time to renovate a dilapidated house at 606 Sanders; the council approved a condemnation notice while allowing a window for submission of a repair plan and financial documentation.
Get email alerts on the 606 Sanders Restoration topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
PINEVILLE — A prospective buyer from Tacoma who said his wife wants to restore a dilapidated home at 606 Sanders Street asked the Pineville City Council on Dec. 16 for time to rehabilitate the property rather than see it demolished.
William LeBlanc told the council he and his wife found the house last week and plan to undertake much of the work themselves because hiring multiple licensed contractors would be expensive. "My wife's really into fixing things," LeBlanc said, adding that restoring the home himself could take as long as a year. He asked the council to be "reasonable and give us the time to actually fix it." (speaker 7)
City staff described the structure as a dilapidated building with rotten wood, overgrowth and potential asbestos siding and roofing. Staff said the council needs to see evidence of financial capacity, Louisiana-licensed contractors for trades such as plumbing and electrical, permit plans and a realistic timetable before allowing rehabilitation rather than demolition.
Council members pressed LeBlanc on timeline and capacity. Staff advised the council that an environmental and grant timeline can affect whether a property enters a grant-funded demolition program or is given to a buyer for rehabilitation. One council member summarized the city’s usual approach: a 30-day period for a bonafide plan, but emphasized that the council could grant longer when warranted.
The council voted to proceed with condemnation while allowing the prospective buyer a set period to submit a detailed plan, estimates and contractor documentation; the condemnation can be removed if the owner or buyer meets the conditions and staff verifies progress. The motion passed with the council recording three ayes and two nays on the floor for the debated motion.
What happens next: the buyer must submit an itemized schedule, licensed contractor names and financial documentation to the mayor's office or codes inspector within the deadline established by the council. Staff will re-inspect and report back to the council, which can remove the condemnation if a satisfactory plan is filed.

