Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Coastal Management topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Coastal residents urge Norfolk to add East Ocean View beach sustainment funding amid Army Corps delays

Norfolk City Council · April 9, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

An East Ocean View civic leader told the budget hearing that delayed Army Corps work has stretched nourishment cycles and increased erosion risk, and asked the council to add funding now for East Ocean View hot spots and annual sustainment.

George Malamos, president of the East Ocean View Civic League and chair of the city's Coastal Management Review Board, urged Norfolk to add funding for East Ocean View beach sustainment in the FY2027 CIP, saying Army Corps delays lengthen nourishment cycles and leave properties more vulnerable to storms.

Malamos said the city previously dedicated about $6,000,000 annually to beach sustainment but that funding appears to have been reduced; he described the Army Corps project delay as adding two to three years and increasing the effective nourishment cycle to 10–12 years. He recommended that the council add East Ocean View hot‑spot funding now and consider a dependable sustainment line to avoid recurring emergency fixes.

Speakers asked the council to coordinate with the Coastal Management Review Board and other stakeholders if additional local funding is required, and to avoid a pattern of reactive spending that produces "hot spots" rather than consistent shoreline maintenance.

No formal council response or funding decision was recorded during the hearing.