Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Community Events topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Wentworth shortens Christmas in the Park hours after teachers raise cold-weather concerns; old consolidated school unavailable for shelter

Town of Wentworth Town Council · December 3, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Town staff reported teacher concerns about cold temperatures at the Dec. 6 Christmas in the Park; the council agreed to end the event at 7:00 p.m. and have teachers’ craft stations close at 6:30 p.m. The old Wentworth Consolidated School was ruled out as a temporary overnight shelter because of lead and asbestos abatement.

Town Clerk and Finance Officer Yvonne Russell told the Wentworth Town Council on Dec. 3 that some Wentworth Elementary teachers had expressed concern about prolonged outdoor exposure at the town’s Dec. 6 Christmas in the Park event and asked that teacher-run craft stations close at 6:30 p.m. instead of remaining open until 8:00 p.m.

Because Councilmember Dennis Paschal III (contacted by phone) relayed those concerns, members agreed to shorten the event’s hours. Russell said staff would put out an announcement that the event will end at 7:00 p.m. and that teachers’ craft stations will close at 6:30 p.m. Councilmember Cheryl Moore said, “We’ll just do what we can.” Mayor Pro Tem Evelyn Conner noted she expected the event might be shortened anyway if people left because of the cold.

Russell also said a caller from the county attorney’s office asked whether the old Wentworth Consolidated School could be used as a temporary overnight shelter until another facility was ready. Russell said the school is still under repair and has lead-paint and asbestos abatement work on the first floor, so it would not be an option. Council members did not identify an alternate town-owned facility during the meeting.

Staff said most vendors confirmed they would attend the Dec. 6 event and that two vendors had already indicated they would not be able to participate. The council agreed to the operational changes and directed staff to issue a public notice with the revised end times ahead of the event.