Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Custer Road Project topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Lakewood businesses urge delay of Custer Road reconstruction, cite poor communication and steep economic risk
Summary
Dozens of Custer Road business owners told the Lakewood City Council the planned full closure for reconstruction would devastate seasonal revenue and staffing unless the city delays or adopts stronger mitigation; staff said a 60‑day full closure is preferred to a longer phased approach and tentatively targeted Aug. 10–Oct. 13 for paving.
Get email alerts on the Custer Road Project topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Business owners and managers from multiple Custer Road businesses told the Lakewood City Council on July 6 that the city’s planned full closure of a three‑block section for reconstruction risks major revenue losses, layoffs and long‑term customer attrition unless officials delay the project and improve outreach.
Corey Campbell, speaking for Classy Chassis and as a Lakewood resident, said businesses on Custer Road were not adequately informed and asked the council to delay the closure “even if only by a few weeks” to allow a revised plan that protects business continuity. Several other speakers — including the owners and managers of Best Burgers, Classic Coffee and multiple car‑care businesses — described months of prior disruption from other projects and said the proposed 60‑day full closure would compound financial harm and staffing losses.
City staff responded in a lengthy Q&A. Troy Paczynski of planning and public works said planners considered phased work but concluded that a full 60‑day closure is the least‑harmful option overall because the project requires taking the roadway down a foot and maintaining safe working grades; doing the work in halves would stretch the disruption to six to seven months and, staff said, could leave half the businesses without access during each phase. Paczynski said the city is currently targeting Aug. 10 through about Oct. 13 for paving, but noted the date depends on coordinated utility pole relocations by TPU, Comcast and Lumen and on favorable weather.
Councilmember Branstetter said the packet lacked Lakewood‑specific impact details, and staff acknowledged the grant application and planning had been driven at a regional grant and design level; Paczynski said the city lacked dedicated communications staffing for part of the planning period, which contributed to short or uneven outreach to some businesses. He said the city will provide flyers and a project webpage with business‑specific access drawings, and that the contractor will distribute information and temporary business access signage near Grange, Burgess and 75th to direct customers.
Businesses asked about direct economic assistance; staff and the city manager said the city has no established program to provide payroll or revenue replacement for businesses affected by capital projects and recommended exploring county or economic development options. Paczynski estimated that alternating phased construction (rather than a one‑time full closure) could increase city construction costs by roughly $500,000, though he said exact change‑order amounts would require a formal estimate.
Owners also raised property‑specific concerns: Lisa O’Gorman, a commercial property owner at 7614 Custer Road, said a nearby neighbor received a roughly $43,000 right‑of‑way payment while she was told no compensation applied to her property; she complained a relocated power pole now blocks 14 feet in front of a tenant entrance and warned the proposed angled parking could violate City of Lakewood parking code (referred to in the meeting as LMC 18‑a80040a2).
Next steps: staff said they would circulate the outreach materials and mailers they have prepared, post a project page, and continue coordinating with utilities. The council did not take a vote to delay the project at the meeting.

