Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Storm Damage topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Griffith council urges residents to report storm damage as town readies sidewalk assistance plan
Summary
Council President Rick Raefa urged residents to call 211 to report storm damage after recent storms; a resident described destroyed sidewalks and basements, and the council said it will assess damage lists and consider a targeted sidewalk-repair program and inspections.
Get email alerts on the Storm Damage topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council President Rick Raefa urged residents to report storm damage through 211 and to contact public works after last month’s severe storms, saying the town is compiling damage reports and exploring targeted help for sidewalks damaged specifically by the storm.
"If you've had a tree that's uprooted your sidewalk, please call public works," Raefa said during the meeting. He added the town will instruct the building department to note permit applicants that a replacement program is being developed, and cautioned that residents who replace sidewalks without a permit "may not be able to get reimbursement."
Resident John Galavis, who identified himself as a long-time resident of Brisbane, described extensive damage to his property and said he had already reported his case to 211. "The sidewalks in front of my house are destroyed," Galavis said. He told the council he had to hire contractors to remove trees and roots and that his insurer declined to cover sidewalk repair.
Public works staff said crews are working daily to clear tree and flood debris and that repairs will take weeks. The public works speaker said the town sent staff to drive neighborhoods and compile lists and that inspections will follow for locations reported to 211. "We've got 5, 6 trucks out every day trying to get through all the tree damage," the public works representative said, noting additional damage from a July 4 storm.
Council members and staff cited early counts of reported damage: a speaker said 125 reports had been recorded as of last Thursday and contrasted that with about 440 reports in a nearby jurisdiction. Raefa said the town needs a full assessment before drafting a formal program and expects to announce more information in about two weeks.
Public works also described how residents can dispose of flood debris: the compost/disposal site accepts materials on Mondays or by prior arrangement for Griffith residents, and staff said they will work with households that hire contractors to haul debris so long as the material is confirmed to come from Griffith properties.
The council did not adopt a formal ordinance or program at the meeting; Raefa said staff will return with more detailed proposals after compiling damage data and inspections.

