Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Infrastructure Projects topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
NH DOT says new bridge deck will carry traffic by October 2026; funding, lighting and sidewalk maintenance remain unresolved
Summary
NH DOT told the Hampton Beach Area Commission the southbound bridge deck is being installed and all traffic should be on the new deck by October 2026; demolition of the old bridge will continue through fall 2028. Officials and commissioners pressed DOT on Phase 2 funding, lighting, suicide-prevention fencing and who will maintain sidewalks.
Get email alerts on the Infrastructure Projects topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Tobey Reynolds, NH DOT director of project development, told the Hampton Beach Area Commission on June 18 that the bridge replacement project is moving forward and that "all traffic should be on the new deck by October of 2026," with demolition of the existing bridge and removal of an east-side work trestle continuing through summer 2027 and expected to finish by fall 2028.
The agency said the Ocean Boulevard project has secured funding for Phase 1 (up to Nudd Avenue) and that a Build Grant application seeking additional funds for Phase 2 is under review; Reynolds said the Build Grant decision should be known by the end of the month and confirmed the DOT applied for the maximum amount of $25 million for the grant. He described the next procedural step as a commissioners’ finding of necessity, after which the project would move into final design and right-of-way work. On NEPA compliance, Reynolds said the project currently benefits from a categorical exclusion, and "as long as the scope impacts remain relatively similar then we'd be in a good position for that." He cautioned, however, that some federal funding streams are contingent on continued federal authorization: "the IIJA expires" at the end of September 2026, he noted, and DOT must complete agreements with the Federal Highway Administration before funds are effectively available.
Commissioners pressed DOT on several local concerns tied to safety and future operating costs. On lighting, Reynolds summarized DOT policy: lights are included in a project only if the municipality agrees to take on operation and maintenance; Hampton previously declined such an agreement for this bridge, so DOT did not include lighting or conduit in the current contract. Asked about suicide-prevention fencing, Reynolds said, "there is fencing planned, but it is 2 small segments of snow fence ... That's the only fence that's included on the bridge currently," and cautioned that adding full fencing would require additional structural analysis because of wind and dead loads. He said signage is something DOT "could certainly accommodate as part of the project," and that fencing would require deeper study.
Local commissioners highlighted the practical implications of DOT’s choices. Keith Lessard pressed on pedestrian safety in low-light conditions and on whether the project could include infrastructure to allow lights to be added later. Jen Hale described the operational challenge for the town: "It's very serious scenario to have a bridge without lighting, but where's the cut off point of hey, it's now or never, or when do you say get some conduit in there now so that in the future that infrastructure is there." Hale and others emphasized that snow removal and liability for sidewalks on a state bridge create logistical and staffing challenges for the town; Reynolds reiterated that federal guidance and DOT practice place responsibility for sidewalks’ ongoing maintenance on the municipality if it chooses to construct them.
Reynolds said the DOT team is coordinating with developers on Ocean Boulevard and with the District 6 engineer on related elements, and that final design consultants are being procured. He noted the right-of-way process will be time-consuming because many small, privately owned parcels may require easement negotiation. The commission and DOT agreed to schedule a follow-up meeting to discuss sidewalk maintenance, snow removal logistics and potential operational agreements.
Next steps: the commission expects a finding-of-necessity meeting to be scheduled in roughly 10–12 weeks, after which final design and right-of-way work would begin; the Build Grant decision for Phase 2 is expected by the end of the month and will determine whether the project proceeds beyond Phase 1.
