Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Arson Investigation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Zionsville officials say downtown building likely set on fire; investigators ask public for tips

Town of Zionsville · July 10, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Town of Zionsville Mayor John Stair and Police Chief Mike Spears said investigators believe a fire that damaged a historic building at 195 South Main Street was likely intentionally set; the FBI and local detectives are involved and no suspects have been identified.

ZIONSVILLE — Town of Zionsville Mayor John Stair said at a morning press briefing that investigators believe a fire that damaged a historic building at 195 South Main Street was likely set intentionally and urged residents to share any information that could help the probe.

Stair said the Zionsville Fire Department contained the blaze in roughly 15 minutes and that damage was concentrated on the building’s south side, with interior damage described as minimal. He estimated the loss at about $150,000 and said the structure — once home to an antiques business called Gateway Wood — is a Main Street landmark that local parties hope to rebuild.

"We will not allow this to define us," Stair said, adding that the town would not tolerate hateful acts. He told reporters that two flags — an American flag and an Israeli flag — had been attached to the building for about three years and that investigators saw burn patterns consistent with deliberate ignition.

Police Chief Mike Spears said the department had notified federal partners and that the unusual circumstances led investigators to request assistance. "This fire is obviously very suspicious," Spears said. "We’re very concerned about it."

Spears encouraged anyone with information to contact police and said officers would step up patrols to reassure residents. "Please bring us any information you have, no matter how small you think it might be," he said, describing multiple ways to report tips.

Deputy Fire Chief Aaron Gibbons described the investigators’ process: fire investigators systematically eliminated accidental and electrical causes, which led them to conclude the fire was intentional. "As they worked through that process, they were able to determine that there was no accidental [cause], there was no electrical [cause], which led them to believe it to be intentional," Gibbons said.

Officials asked the public to review any surveillance footage from the downtown area between about midnight and 2 a.m. and to contact Detective Nick Ruby with any leads; a contact number was provided during the briefing. Stair said ownership of the building is currently unsettled and that a court is expected to make a determination soon, but he added that there is local interest in rebuilding the structure.

No suspects have been identified, and the investigation remains active as local detectives coordinate with federal partners. Officials said they will release additional information as the probe develops.