Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Forestry topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Sawyer County forestry report: timber sales steady, oak-wilt restrictions lift July 15; rising gravel costs strain projects
Summary
County forester Greg Peterson reported nine active timber sales with uncut sale value just under $5 million, June revenue of just over $200,000 and year-to-date revenue of $1,175,000; he warned gravel-price spikes are forcing scope cuts on road and trail rehab work. Oak-wilt restrictions end July 15, the DNR said.
Get email alerts on the Forestry topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Greg Peterson, presenting the county forestry report, told the Sawyer County Land, Water, and Forest Resources Committee that nine timber sales are active, primarily in pine stands, with uncut sale value just under $5,000,000. He said June revenue was just over $200,000 and year-to-date revenue stands at $1,175,000.
Peterson said the forest program remains on track to meet its estimated annual budget but is facing rising material costs that are affecting project delivery. "What we're running into is our gravel prices are really starting to kill our projects," he said, adding that projects such as the Draper Road rehab are being scaled back to meet grant limits and that the Veil 77 rehab was roughly $7,000 short of the low bid, which the department plans to cover with maintenance funds.
When asked about specific prices, Peterson said typical grant specifications had been in the $24'$25-per-cubic-yard range but that current bids are running $30'$40 per cubic yard, compared with about $18'$20 five years ago. The committee discussed the effect of these increases on grant-funded work and the need to balance scope against available county maintenance funds.
Peterson also reported ongoing operational constraints tied to oak wilt restrictions, which county and state staff said are in effect until July 15. He noted that Trail 3 (Sissimabaga Road) completed a 1.32-mile rehab funded entirely by grant dollars, and that the department received additional DNR funds for the Descopia Trail'$15,000 for hazard-tree removal and a little over $16,000 for culvert replacement.
The forester outlined a mix of bids for three trail projects: two bids fell within grant limits while the third left a small shortfall that county staff plan to cover. Peterson said contractors with local experience remain engaged and that sale inspections and recon work are on target.
The committee did not take further action on the forestry report. The next meeting is scheduled for Aug. 12 at 8:30 a.m.

