Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Real Estate topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Atlantic Beach approves $1.69M purchase of two causeway lots, keeps pier near bridge abutment

Town of Atlantic Beach Town Council · July 1, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council accepted an offer to buy 801 and 803 Atlantic Beach Causeway for $1,690,000 and decided to proceed with the originally surveyed pier location at the NCDOT bridge abutment, citing faster construction and $185,000 in foundation funding for the pier.

The Atlantic Beach Town Council on March 23 voted unanimously to accept an agreement to sell two town-owned lots at 801 and 803 Atlantic Beach Causeway to Jennifer Phang for $1,690,000 and discussed financing and pier placement tied to the property.

Town Manager John O'Daniel said the town moved quickly from initial interest to a signed agreement in three weeks. Councilmember Renea Baker moved to accept the agreement and Councilmember Joseph Starling seconded; the vote was 4-0. O'Daniel outlined financing options including using fund balance, partial or full financing, or seeking reimbursement after an upfront purchase; he said the town's current fire truck loan is at 3.25% and staff expects market rates of about 4–5% for a 15-year term. He noted that the Local Government Commission (LGC) approval process would take roughly 120 days if formal financing is pursued.

Council also discussed Bridge Abutment Phase III, a planned 200-foot pier with a 20-by-20-foot landing. Options were whether to build at the previously surveyed NCDOT bridge abutment (which requires an NCDOT lease amendment but already has survey/engineering work) or on the newly purchased town property (which would avoid NCDOT approvals but require new water surveys). Councilmembers noted fishing could be better near the bridge, and construction could be faster at the surveyed NCDOT site. Mayor Pro Tem Harry Archer said the Big Rock Foundation has provided $185,000 toward phases two and three of the project ($85,000 for ADA improvements already completed and $100,000 specifically for pier construction at the original location). The council reached consensus to proceed with the original NCDOT abutment location for the pier.

Final financing decisions were left for a future work session and LGC consultations. The council recorded acceptance of the purchase agreement in the minutes and will pursue funding options in coming weeks.