Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Zoning Variance topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Iowa City board defers decision on Kimball Road lot after dispute over measurement and who created the parcel

Iowa City Board of Adjustment · July 9, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After hours of testimony, the Board of Adjustment voted to defer a decision on a Kimball Road variance amid conflicting survey measurements, disputed history of a 2015 boundary adjustment and legal questions about whether the unbuildable shape was "self-created."

The Iowa City Board of Adjustment on July 8 deferred action on an application to reduce the minimum lot width for a Kimball Road parcel after neighbors, the applicant and city staff offered sharply different accounts of the lot's history and how its width should be measured.

Planner Lisa Schroer told the board the subject parcel, auditor parcel 1003451013, is short of the 50-foot lot-width requirement when measured at the 15-foot front setback and that staff therefore recommended denial. "Staff recommends denial of VAR-260003 to allow for a reduced minimum lot width requirement from 50 feet to 49 feet and 5 inches for parcel number 1003451013 located on Kimball Road," Schroer said.

The applicant, developer Michael Spear, argued the lot is a legal lot of record and is buildable under the code's definitions. "Read fresh without this history, the code is clear," Spear said while reading a prepared statement he asked be entered into the record. He told the board that planning staff had previously indicated written support for pursuing the variance on May 12 and that the reversal left him surprised and disadvantaged.

Neighbors and former survey professionals countered that the lot never met the lot-width standard. Former MMS survey department staffer Sandy Style testified she measured the lot at 49.67 feet at the 15-foot setback and told an applicant representative in 2025 that the parcel did not meet the width requirement. "It was not buildable then," Style told the board, saying the lot's configuration was created by earlier boundary work.

The hearing turned on the narrow legal question of whether the physical shape of the parcel was "self-created" by the owner's earlier actions (which would weigh against relief) or whether staff or an earlier administrative error created an unlawful lot (which could change the legal analysis). City legal counsel told the board that "if a decision isn't legal from the outset, there aren't the same claims for reliance," framing why the board needed more time to review affidavits, surveys and staff correspondence.

After public testimony and extended questioning of staff and the applicant, the board voted to defer the matter and keep the public hearing open so staff can respond to materials the applicant supplied and provide a memo addressing the measurement and self-creation issues. The motion to defer passed by roll call: Vandergast yes, Tallman no, Russo yes, Swaggart no, Baker yes. The board tentatively scheduled the matter for July 22 and instructed staff to circulate written responses so interested parties who cannot attend may file comments in writing.

What happens next: staff will prepare a memo addressing the applicant's materials and the legal questions raised; the board will reconsider the application at the continued hearing (the public record remains open until that meeting).