Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Budget topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Bismarck superintendent warns of ~16% Title I cut; proposes one‑year $250,000 backfill to protect staff

Bismarck School Board · June 23, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Superintendent Dr. Fosnott told the board the district faces a significant state‑level Title I reduction (presented as roughly 16% for Bismarck) and proposed using carryover funds and an up‑to‑$250,000 one‑year general fund commitment to maintain human capital and instructional supports.

The Bismarck School Board on June 23 heard a superintendent's report that the district expects a substantial reduction in Title I funding from the state and was asked to support short‑term budget steps to keep instructional support staff in place.

Superintendent Dr. Fosnott told the board that the district had been notified of a large decrease in Title I funding and, accounting for state calculations, "it was just a little over 8%... that materialized about 16% reduction in Title I funding," leaving the Title I program financially strained. He presented a breakdown of last year's Title I spending for context, including professional salaries (about $1,600,000), nonprofessional salaries (about $650,000) and benefits (approximately $900,000), producing a prior total near $4,400,000 and a projected Title I total of roughly $3,600,000 for the coming year.

To reduce the immediate impact on human capital, Dr. Fosnott said he had asked elementary schools to apply up to 75% of available carryover (the presentation showed a carryover line of $358,000) and recommended that the district consider a "one‑year commitment up to $250,000" from the general fund to backfill human capital costs and purchase essential instructional materials for the year. "For a one year commitment up up to 250,000, we'd keep our human capital intact," he told the board.

Dr. Fosnott said some positions are already contracted, leaving limited flexibility, and that the administration would return to the board later in the budget cycle with finalized numbers and potential general‑fund budget revisions for approval. He emphasized the need to distinguish "needs" from "wants" when allocating reduced resources.

The superintendent also briefed the board on a forthcoming draft cell‑phone policy received from the school board association, which the district plans to post for stakeholder comment and return to the board at the July 14 meeting, and noted a community partnership event with the Sleepy Hollow Theater Company planned for Aug. 1 to honor district educators.

No formal board action was taken on the Title I backfill proposal at the meeting; Dr. Fosnott said he would move the recommended request through the budget process in August and September for board approval.