Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Cultural Institutions topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council hears update that Prince George’s African American Museum is in receivership

Town of North Brentwood Mayor and Council · June 16, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council members were told the Prince George's African American Museum and Cultural Center is under court receivership with the Hon. Alexander Williams Jr. tentatively appointed as receiver; the court waived bond and may require an accounting of museum finances before donations or sponsorships can proceed.

At the June 15 meeting the council received an update that the Prince George’s African American Museum and Cultural Center is under a court-ordered receivership following a June 11 hearing.

The chair summarized the court action, saying a consent order tentatively appoints the Hon. Alexander Williams Jr. as receiver and grants the receiver broad authority over the museum’s assets and operations. "The receiver has been granted broad authority to take control of the museum's assets, operations, and affairs," the chair told the council, and the court waived the bond requirement for the receiver. The chair said the court may require an accounting of the museum's finances as part of the receivership process.

Council members and residents asked whether the museum could accept donations while under receivership. A resident asked how someone could contribute funds to help reopen the museum. The chair and others explained that, because the museum is under court control, donations cannot be accepted or spent until the receiver and the court establish proper oversight and the museum is restored to good standing. "Because it's under receivership and it's under the court, there is nothing that nobody can—they are not gonna accept the money till they find out what clearance they have at the museum right now," the chair said.

The council framed the receivership as a step intended to stabilize management and protect the museum's historic collection; the chair described the appointment of Judge Williams—who previously served as a federal judge and has ties to the museum—as a positive development toward revitalization. Council members did not vote on any action related to the receivership during the meeting; they answered public questions and directed residents to await guidance from the court and the appointed receiver on how to contribute or sponsor museum activities.

The council's update provides local notice of the court proceeding and clarifies that, until the receiver and court provide procedures, individuals and groups should not attempt to donate directly to the museum. Council or staff follow-up may be required if the town receives formal requests to assist in the museum's administrative recovery.