Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Stormwater Flooding topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents urge city action after years of backyard flooding tied to bowling-alley property
Summary
Three Olivette residents told the Planning and Community Design Commission that runoff from the bowling-alley property behind their homes is causing chronic flooding, damaged structures and noise/light concerns; planning staff said the commission lacks jurisdiction over mere ownership changes but pledged staff follow-up and a potential retaining-wall condition tied to redevelopment plans.
Get email alerts on the Stormwater Flooding topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents from the Crabapple Court area told the Olivette City Planning and Community Design Commission on June 18 that chronic flooding has damaged yards and structures and that runoff appears to originate from a neighboring bowling-alley property.
"My backyard is flooded the entire time," said Merrick Felder of 31 Crabapple Court, who described an 8-foot retaining wall, an approximately 1.5-acre parking lot and blocked relief vents that he said allow water to pass under the wall and flood neighboring yards. "There's an acre and a half, something like that, [the parking lot] comes through the wall and floods our properties," Felder said, and he handed staff a packet of photos and notes.
Another neighbor, Roman Jurinski, said routine maintenance and minor patching have not stopped erosion and that a shed and yard features have deteriorated. "I have moss just growing in the backyard ... My shed is completely rotten," Jurinski said. Phyllis Blaylock showed photos she said were taken after a February storm and said her yard has developed a sinkhole from repeated flooding.
Planning director Carlos Trejo told the commission the commission itself lacks authority triggered solely by a change of ownership of the commercial property. He said staff had previously inspected the site, discussed concerns with the owner and sought plans that would include replacement of the retaining wall. "It is my professional opinion that the replacement of the wall will address a lot of the flooding and stormwater issues that are being experienced," Trejo said, and he pledged to work with the owner and to coordinate follow-up inspections.
Trejo also said staff would review lighting and noise complaints as part of standard commercial occupancy review and that he would check records with the police chief about past noise complaints. He offered to meet with residents next week for on-site visits and asked residents to provide documentation; residents accepted the offer.
Chair Sam Wallach noted the commission's limited legal authority in change-of-ownership matters and emphasized the role of city staff. "Carlos is the person who knows what can and cannot be done," Wallach said, thanking residents for bringing the matter to the city's attention.
The commission did not take formal action at the meeting. Staff said they would examine the documentation provided, coordinate an on-site assessment and report back; residents were also told they retain the right to seek private legal counsel if they choose.
Next steps: planning staff agreed to review the materials residents provided, inspect the property, consult with the police chief on noise records and follow up with residents and the property owner about proposed retaining-wall plans.

